/ Home / Your Council / Employment / Guaranteed Interview Scheme
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of the Highland Council's commitment to Equal Opportunities, We guarantee to interview any disabled applicant who matches all the essential attributes required of the job. A disability is a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long term adverse effect upon their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. This scheme aims to help overcome barriers facing disabled people in seeking employment and training.
If the post you are applying for requires extensive travelling and you do not have a driving licence you should have access to personal transport in order to fulfil this requirement.
What is the Disability Symbol?
The Highland Council has been awarded the Positive About Disabled People “Two Ticks” symbol in recognition of our commitments to ensure that disabled people are supported by employers and treated fairly at every stage of their selection and employment.
The action we take as a symbol user is in addition to any obligations placed on us by The Equality Act 2012, and in no way affects your rights as a disabled person under this Act.
This symbol means that the Highland Council will take action on the following five commitments:
- to guarantee an interview to all applicants with a disability - provided they meet the minimum qualifying criteria for the particular vacancy and to consider them on their abilities.
- to consult with disabled employees on an annual basis, to ensure they can develop and use their abilities at work.
- to make every effort when employees become disabled to retain them in employment.
- to improve knowledge, to ensure that key employees develop the awareness of disability required to make the above commitments work effectively.
- to review these commitments annually to check what has been achieved, plan ways to improve and to advise employees about progress and future plans.
In order for you to benefit from our commitments you should indicate that you have a disability under the relevant section of the application form and let us know if you have any special requirements for interview.
Click on the following link if you would like more information Equality and Human Rights Commission Scotland, or contact:
Equality and Human Rights Commission Helpline Scotland
The Optima Building
58 Robertson Street
Glasgow, G2 8DU
Telephone : 0845 604 5510
Textphone : 0845 604 5520 Faxback : 0845604 5530