Requesting Personal Information about Yourself

The Highland Council may hold personal information about you. The Council believes it is very important to work in partnership with you and that you should play a part in what is recorded about you.

Information about you may be recorded in several ways – e.g. in a personal file, in a project file, or on a Computer Information Database. Both systems are treated confidentially and are kept in a secure manner.

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have rights to be informed and to see what information is held about you. To ask for personal information held about you please contact the Council by:

  • Picking up, completing and returning a Subject Access Request form. These can be found at Council Service Points, Libraries or Council Offices; or
  • Writing to the Freedom of Information Officer (see below), giving as much information about your request as possible along with your name, date of birth and address; or
  • Downloading a subject access request form (105kb pdf). The form should then be completed and returned to the Freedom of Information Officer, Chief Executive's Office, The Highland Council, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness IV3 5NX.

Please note that, as proof of identity is required to enable us to process data subject access requests, it is not possible to accept these requests via email.