The Planning, Environment and Development Committee agreed to adopt the Highland Council Core Paths Plan on 21 September 2011.
The model for the delivery of access provision within the Highland Council area is based around five Access Officers covering the following areas -
* Note: The Cairngorm National Park Authority is an Access Authority in its own right. Those parts of Badenoch and Strathspey to the north and south west of the Park Boundary are attached to the respective core path planning and access forum areas.
Under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, Highland Council, as the Access Authority, has a statutory requirement to produce a Core Path Plan to cover its area.
The Core Paths aim to satisfy the basic needs of local people and visitors for general access and recreation and will provide links to the wider path network throughout the Highland Council area. These Core Paths comprise a mixture of existing paths with some new paths. These paths are close to where people live and can range from tracks worn into natural ground to high-specification constructed paths.
The Core Paths cater for all types of users - walkers, cyclists, horse riders, canoeists, people with disabilities, etc. and are a key part of outdoor access provision.
The Core Paths Plans for all areas are available in PDF format below. These require Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view, which can be installed free (Get Acrobat Reader) if you do not have it.
If you wish to print out the maps then A3 format is the best size.
Ross & Cromarty Area
Inverness & Nairn Area
Skye & Lochalsh Area
- Skye & Lochalsh Overview Map (1.3mb)
- Map_1: North Trotternish (1.3mb)
- Map_2: East Trotternish (1.7mb)
- Map_3: Uig, Cuidrach, Borve & Skeabost (1.8mb)
- Map_4: Edinbane (1.4mb)
- Map_5: Waternish, Coral Beach & Neist Point (1.6mb)
- Map_6: Ramasaig to Lorgill, Roag, & Orbost to Idrigill (1.7mb)
- Map_7: Dunvegan (1.4mb)
- Map_8: Harlosh, Fiskavaig to Talisker, Balmeanach to Glen Vic Alskill & Carbost (1.6mb)
- Map_9: Struan & Portnalong (1.4mb)
- Map_10: Portree (1.2mb)
- Map_11: Portree Forest, & North Raasay (1.3mb)
- Map_12: South Raasay (1.2mb)
- Map_13: Sligachan & Glenbrittle Forest (2.0mb)
- Map_14: Glenbrittle & Strathaird Peninsula (1.8mb)
- Map_15: Suisnish, Luib to Strollamus, & Broadford Forest (2.0mb)
- Map_16: Breakish, Kyleakin, Kinloch, & Ord (1.4mb)
- Map_17: South Sleat (1.2mb)
- Map_18: South Glenelg & Arnisdale (1.8mb)
- Map_19: North Glenelg (1.5mb)
- Map_20: Loch Duich & Morvich (1.6mb)
- Map_21: Dornie, Plockton, Achmore & Kyle (1.7mb)
- Map_22: Balmacara (1.6mb)