Marriages and civil partnerships
What you need to do before your ceremony
- Read all the information about the legal requirements to registering a marriage or registering a civil partnership
- Check our current fees for marriage or civil partnership
- You must each complete a marriage notice (Form M10) or civil partnership notice (CP1) and submit these application forms to your registrar at least 15 days before the date of your ceremony. We recommend that you submit the forms to us about 4 to 6 weeks before your ceremony
- If you are subject to immigration control you may require a marriage visa - for further information see the the Visa and immigration section on Gov.uk
Other documents to give the registrar:
- Read about the other documents you must give us
- If you were born after 1983 your passport may be required
- Documents should be originals, not photocopies
- If any item is not in English, a certified translation must be provided
Registrars have a statutory duty to report any marriage they suspect has been registered for the sole purpose of evading immigration controls.
Get more information and news at National Records of Scotland
Read Highland Weddings magazine - your guide to getting married in the Highlands.