Dalwhinnie, Inverness-shire, PH19 1AB
Tel: 01528 522 228
School day for pupils:
P1, 2 and 3 - Monday to Friday 09.00 to 14.45
P4, 5, 6 and 7 - Monday to Friday 09.00 to 15.15
Headteacher: Ms Jan Filshie - Acting (Cluster with Newtonmore Primary)
Dalwhinnie Primary School is currently mothballed.
School provision is at Newtonmore Primary School. If you require further information please do not hesitate to contact the Area Education Office in Inverness on (01463) 702063.
Dalwhinnie School is situated within the village next to the station. The school was built in 1878 and is the highest school in the Highlands of Scotland. Refurbishment has created a bright and spacious interior with a large working area and adjacent classroom space. The renovation of the school house has created an additional modern nursery with a nursery play area. Outside are extensive grounds for games and quiet play including a play park.
There is currently one class with eleven pupils ranging from Primary 3-7 with a full time class teacher and classroom assistant.
The broad and varied curriculum offers all pupils opportunities to become successful learners, confident individuals, effective contributors and responsible citizens and promotes class, group and individual learning. It is part of a cluster group where the head teacher has the management responsibility for two schools
Associated Secondary School:
Dalwhinnie Primary plays an important role in the community and key features include:
- A high staff pupil ratio
- Opportunities to combine with Newtonmore Primary for sporting, musical, cultural and social events as part of the current cluster arrangement.
- Pupils in the school learn both French and Gaelic
- Pupils in Pr 6/7 get the opportunity to participate in an annual ski programe and residential trip in Pr7 along with the other small schools in Badenoch.
- The school works very closely with Kingussie High School and a comprehensive transition programme is in place.
- A strong partnership between home, school and the wider community
- Monthly lunch club
- Specialist teachers for Music, Art and PE
- Violin and chanter tuition available