Limepark, Broadford, Isle of Skye IV49 9AQ
Tel: 01471 822453
Fax: 01471 822378
School day for pupils:
Monday to Friday 09.00 to 15.20
Mornings - 09.00 - 11.30
Afernoons - 12.50 to 15.20
Head Teacher: Mr J G Wyness B.Ed. M.Ed.
Broadford Primary School was opened in 1975 to accommodate children from the wider area of Strath. There are four classrooms in the main school building and also a hall which serves as a dining room and P.E. area. An area adjacent to the hall serves as a resource centre and library. Also within the school perimeter is a large demountable unit which provides facilities for another two classrooms, and a multi-purpose facility which functions as a community resource and out-of-school club. The playground area encompasses a modern children's playground with play equipment and a multi-use-games-area (MUGA). The village hall is very close to the school and is used for PE and social functions. The School also has a large garden-cum-wildlife area.
The school roll presently stands at 91 with six teaching staff and three Pupil Support Assistants. Parents may choose to register their children for either English Medium or Gaelic Medium education. Children entering GM at P1 do not necessarily have to be fluent Gaelic speakers as time will be taken to ensure that children acquire the language successfully before moving on in the curriculum. English Medium classes P1/2/3, P4/5 and P6/7 along with Gaelic Medium class P1/2/3, are taught in the main building while Gaelic Medium P4-7 is in the demountable unit. Though all school classes are composites and some are taught through the medium of Gaelic, it is important to note that the school operates at all times as a single unit.
The school also has a Nursery providing two sessions per day for children aged 3 and 4 years old. English and Gaelic language sessions alternate termly between mornings and afternoons to ensure that all children have equal opportunities.
Associated Secondary School:
- Broadford Primary School offers Gaelic Medium Education in Nursery and at Primary level.
- There is an after-school provision available in the Out-of-School Club.
- Tutoring is provided in football, shinty, stringed instruments, Gaelic singing, music and piping.
- We are a Health Promoting School.
- The school has a successful Gaelic choir.
- There is an established and ongoing partnership with schools in Finland and pupils have access to exchange visits.
- The school has an active eco-committee and is the holder of three Eco Schools Green Flags. We are currently working towards a fourth.