Below is an outline of a library induction session for children in the Primary 1-3 age range. A full sample induction session and some stories, songs and rhymes for this age group can be accessed from the Current Documents section on the right. Additional materials will be added as they are developed.
Outline of induction session for P1-3
- Welcome and introduction
- Question and answer session about the library (this could be the librarian asking the children what they know about the library, or the children asking questions they have worked out with the teahcer beforehand)
- A tour of the library if practical - this will depend on how big the library is and how busy it is
- A story
- An activity - perhaps colouring or a craft activity, or something more active if the children are restless
- Perhaps another story or a couple of rhymes
- End by giving the children time to choose a book if they want to
Busy Bees is a personal reading scheme for children who are just beginning to read independently. To earn a certificate they have to read two books and complete simple activities relating to the books and to how libraries are arranged.