/ Home / Leisure and Tourism / Libraries / Internet and Computers
Internet and Computers
High Life Highland delivers community learning and leisure services including library and information services on behalf of The Highland Council.
"How To" guides on how to write CDs, use our scanners, set up email accounts and use USB card readers (to download photographs from digital cameras) are available as PDF files on the right of this page under "Current Documents".
Information on how we provide Internet Access is available by clicking on the "Internet Access" link to the right of this page under "In This Section". Our Acceptable Use Policy is also available in a variety of languages from the "Internet Access" page.
40 built Highland Council Libraries (with the exception of Knoydart) have over 130 computers available for use, initially provided through a lottery-funded government programme, “the People's Network".
In libraries you can do all of the following for free*.
- Surf the internet with fast broadband access
- Create documents, CVs, or letters
- Access over 320 electronic reference resources
- Access the online Library Catalogue
- Download eAudiobooks from NetLibrary
- Download and email or print photographs from your digital camera or phone**
- Learn the basics of using a computer
- Organise your finances with spreadsheet and database software
- Create presentations
- Copy documents, photographs and pictures using scanners
- Talk with library staff about the availability of specialist equipment to assist users with disabilities
Visitors are welcome in Highland libraries. If you want to use a computer then you will need to show identification (ID card, passport, driving license) and complete a simple form. You will be issued with a "guest account" that will give you limited access to the PCs for that day.
You are now able to plug in your laptop or mobile device at some libraries. Please ask staff first for details before using power points.
If you experience any difficulties with PCs in Highland Libraries please discuss with a member of staff or email firstname.lastname@example.org
* you will have to pay for printing.
** to download photos from cameras ask a member of staff for the USB card reader and refer to the guide "How to use the USB card reader".