8.1 The Croft House Grant Scheme

The Croft House Grant Scheme (CHGS) is to improve and maintain the standards of crofter housing with the aim of attracting and retaining people in the more remote areas of the Highlands and Islands.  It is only available in crofting areas. Crofting areas do not cover all of the Highlands.

There is no automatic entitlement to assistance. Each application is decided on its merits. Even if an applicant meets the eligibility criteria, other issues have to be considered before a final decision can be reached.

For a new house you will have to show that your existing accommodation is inadequate in some way, and that a new house would enable you to work the croft. For rebuilding and house improvements, your croft must be in need of upgrading/renovation, or require to be extended/altered to meet the needs of your household. Assistance will not be given towards the cost of inessential accommodation, or to compensate for the neglect of normal maintenance.

The grant is geographically targeted. Information on the levels of grant in different areas can be seen on the Scottish Government website
Who is eligible

You must be one of the following:

  • a crofting tenant;
  • an owner occupier of a croft, acquired from landlord within the last 7 years;
  • a cottar;
  • a Kyles crofter.

And you must be inadequately housed because:

  • your present accommodation does not provide sufficient accommodation for you and your immediate family; or
  • your present accommodation does not meet an adequate standard; or
  • you currently live with parents, are at least 21 years old, and can show you have worked the croft for at least 2 years or

In need of a house on the croft because:

  • you currently live more than 10 miles away; or
  • the type of agricultural activities requires constant presence on the croft; or
  • the needs of an existing business, require you to live on the croft; or
  • you currently live in a council house (or other tenancy).

More information, guidance and application forms are available on the Scottish Government website  at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/grants/BDandM/CHGS

Alternatively contact the Scottish Government or your local SGRPID Office. They can also give advice on completing the form.

Scottish Government Rural Payments & Inspections Directorate

Central Highlands 

Longman House, 28 Longman Road, Inverness 01463 234141 SGRPID.inverness@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

Caithness and part Northern Sutherland

Strathbeg House, Clarence Street,Thurso KW14 7JS 01847 893104 SGRPID.thurso@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

Skye Estate Office

Portree IV51 9DH 01478 612516


Northern Highland and part Sutherland 

The Links, Golspie business Park, Golspie, Sutherland. KW10 6UB 01408 634063


| Return to Table of Contents


In This Section