6.1 What is Housing Benefit?

Most people who rent their homes and are on no or a low income, are entitled to receive Housing and/or Council Tax Benefit to help meet their housing costs. This applies if they are renting from the council or a housing association.

For those renting from private landlords, Local Housing Allowance (LHA) was introduced in April 2008.  You can get more informaton about Housing Benefit and LHA on the Benefits page on the Council website.

You can also get information about Council Tax on the Council website.

| Return to Table of Contents


In This Section