1.4 Can I get Housing Benefit for Private Rented Housing?

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is a way of working out Housing Benefit and aims to help people on a low income, who live in private rented housing, pay their rent.  The LHA Rate that applies to you depends on the area in which you live and the number of bedrooms your household needs. The LHA rate for single people under 35 is based on a room in shared accommodation (however there are some exceptions).  
The LHA Rate is the maximum amount of Housing Benefit you may be entitled to. The actual Benefit paid to you depends on your income, capital and household circumstances. Before you start looking for a property to rent, find out the LHA Rate which applies to you, so that you can then choose a place that suits you. 
Before you decide to rent a property, you should also check the LHA Rate to find out how much of its rent will be included in your Housing Benefit calculation.
Information on your Local Allowance Rate (LHA) and other information on council tax and housing benefit can be found on the Council's website.

The Highland Council also has leaflets which can help you work out whether you may be able to get housing or other benefits.  These are available on the Council’s website and in Council offices. You can also call The Highland Council for advice or guidance on housing benefit. Call 01349 886606. 

Your local Citizens’ Advice Bureaux can also give you advice on housing benefit.

| Return to Table of Contents


In This Section