/ Home / Your Council / Council Tax / Change in Circumstances
Change in Circumstances
When we issue you a bill Council Tax law assumes your household circumstances will stay the same until the end of the Council Tax financial year on 31 March. If your circumstances have changed or are about to change, you must tell us immediately to avoid having to pay money back to us.
Changes in your circumstances can affect how much rent and Council Tax you have to pay and the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit you receive.
If you don't report your changes you may be given too much Benefit, Discount, Exemption or Disablement Band Reduction and you may have to pay money back to the Council.
Examples of changes which you must tell us about are:
- change of address
- individuals moving in/out of your home
- you, or your partner, start work
- you or your partner's pay or working hours change
- your child leaves school, education or training
- your savings go up or down
- your childcare arrangements change
- you start or stop claiming another benefit or the amount you get changes
- you claim benefit because of a health condition or disability and your health or condition changes
To report your changes please contact your nearest Council Service Points or our Operations Team:
- e-mail us at Operations.Team@highland.gov.uk
- telephone freephone 0800 393811
- visit a designated office at any Highland Council Service Point
- by post at PO Box 5650, Inverness, IV3 5YX
Do NOT send personal data to the above email address.
You can also download the relevant form using the links opposite. Print and return the completed form to the address on the document.