Motorists in Lochaber area are being warned that part time 20mph speed restrictions will be introduced this term at another six schools in the area, for children’s safety.
The new speed limits will come into force at Caol, Mallaig, Strontian, Upper Achintore and Fort William (Lundavra Road) Primaries and Mallaig High from Tuesday 15th August 2006. This addition brings the total number of schools benefiting from new speed limits in the Lochaber area to 18 and in Highland to 70 at present.
Motorists are reminded that if they speed in the vicinity of Highland schools then the penalties will be tough. The Highland Council, Northern Constabulary and the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (Highlands and Islands Area) are clear that if motorists are caught speeding near Highland schools where a part time 20mph limit is in place, then robust enforcement action will be taken by both the Police and the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.
Drivers travelling near Lochaber schools should be aware that the 20mph part time speed limit applies on school days, at:
• Caol Primary from 08:30 to 09:30; 12:30 to 13:30 and 15:00 to 15:30.
• Mallaig High from 08:30 to 09:00, 12:45 to 13:45, and 15:45 to 16:05.
• Mallaig Primary from 08:30 to 09:00, 12:40 to 13:40, 14:30 to 14:45, and 15:15 to 15:30,
• Upper Achintore Primary from 08:40 to 09:00, 12:30 to 13:30, 14:30 to 14:45, and 15:15 to 15:30.
• Fort William Primary (Lundavra Road) from 08:30 to 09:00, 12:30 to 13:35, 14:30 to 14:50, and 15:15 to 15:30.
• Strontian Primary from 08:35 to 09:00, 12:30 to 13:30, 14:30 to 14:45, and 15:15 to 15:30.
The other schools in Lochaber Area with 20mph speed restrictions are: Ardgour, Arisaig, Banavie, Fort William RC, Invergarry, Inverlochy, Lady Lovat, Lochaline, Lochyside RC, Roybridge and Spean Bridge Primaries and Lochaber High.