/ Home / Your Council / News / News Releases / 2006 / December
Highland Visit of Scottish Affairs Committee on Poverty (06/12/06)
On Monday, 11 December, The Highland Council will host a visit from the Scottish Affairs Committee of the UK Parliament, who will continue their inquiry into Poverty in Scotland by visiting in Balintore, Bonar Bridge and in Merkinch, Inverness, to meet representatives from local organisations to see at first hand the difficulties they experience.
The Group will meet with representatives from the local community of Balintore (Seaboard Memorial Hall, at 11am) Bonar Bridge (Village Hall at 1.30 pm) and Merkinch, Inverness (Community Centre at 3.45 pm.)
On Tuesday 12 December, the Committee will follow up these informal meetings with a formal public evidence session at The Highland Council Chamber, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness. Evidence will be taken from:
(at 10.00am) Mr Cameron Stark, Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, Centre for Rural Health, John Park, Assistant Secretary Scottish Trade Union Congress and Sandy Brady, Director of Strategy, Highlands and Islands Enterprise.
(at 11.15am) Carron McDiarmid, Head of Policy and Performance, The Highland Council, Philomena de Lima, Development Officer, University of the Highlands and Islands Policy Web and Carol Greer, Citizens Advice Scotland.
Members of the Scottish Affairs Committee attending:
- Danny Alexander MP (Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey) Liberal Democrats
- Mr Ian Davidson MP (Glasgow South West) Labour
- Mr Jim McGovern MP (Dundee West) Labour
- David Mundell MP (Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale) Conservative
- Mr Mohammed Sarwar MP (Glasgow Central) (Chairman) Labour
- Mr Charles Walker MP (Broxbourne) Conservative
- Mr Angus MacNeil MP (Na h-Eileanan an Iar) SNP