/ Home / Your Council / News / News Releases / 2008 / August
New Administration of The Highland Council (01/08/08)
A new Administration to run The Highland Council was confirmed today (Friday 1st August, 2008).
The Independent (30 members), Liberal Democrat (20) and Labour (7) Groups have formed a coalition to replace the former Independent/Scottish National Party partnership.
The Opposition is the Scottish National Party, 17 members, and the Independent Members Group of 6.
The new coalition will be headed by Convener, Independent Sandy Park, Nairn. He will continue to chair meetings of the Council and represent the Council at civic and ceremonial matters which have a Highland-wide impact.
Liberal Democrat Michael Foxley will fill the new post of Leader of the Council’s Administration. He will lead the political administration of the Council, ensuring that the political decision making structures operate effectively.
A new position of Budget Leader and Chairman of the Budget Information Group will be filled by Councillor David Alston, Liberal Democrat.
The election of Chairman of the Inverness City Committee, which carries the role of Provost of Inverness, will be decided by the City Committee on Monday.
The election of office-bearers of the three local Planning Applications and Review Committees and the three local Licensing Boards/Committees will be delegated to the local committees.
The full list of office-bearers is as follows:
- Convener: Sandy Park, (Ind), Nairn
- Leader of the Council's Administration: Dr Michael Foxley, (Lib Dem), Fort William and Ardnamurchan
- Budget Leader and Chairman of the Budget Information Group: Dr David Alston, (Lib Dem), Black Isle
- Resources Committee:
Chairman: Carolyn Wilson, (Ind), Cromarty Firth
Vice-chairman: Martin Rattray (Lib Dem), Cromarty Firth
- Education Culture and Sport Committee:
Chairman: Bill Fernie, (Ind), Wick
Vice-Chairman: Drew Millar, (Lib Dem), Eilean a' Cheò
- Housing and Social Work Committee:
Chairman: Margaret Davidson, (Ind), Aird and Loch Ness
Vice-Chairman: Robbie Rowantree, (Lib Dem), North, West and Central Sutherland
- Planning Environment and Development Committee:
Chairman: Ian Ross, (Lib Dem), East Sutherland Edderton
Vice-Chairman: Isobel McCallum, (Ind), Black Isle
- Transport Environmental and Community Services Committee:
Chairman: John Laing, (Ind), Eilean a' Cheò
Vice-Chairman: Brian Murphy, (Lab), Fort William and Ardnamurchan
- Audit and Scrutiny Committee:
Chairman: Jean Urquhart, (SNP), Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh
Vice Chairman: David Bremner (Independent Members Group), Landward Caithness
- Gaelic Committee:
Chairman: Hamish Fraser, (Ind), Eilean a' Cheò
Vice-Chairman: Isabelle Campbell (Lib Dem), Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh
- Leader of the Opposition:
John Finnie, (SNP), Inverness Ness-side
- City of Inverness Committee:
Chairman and Provost: To be appointed on Monday 4 August
- Caithness Sutherland and Easter Ross Planning Applications and Review Committee:
Chairman: Donald Mackay, (Ind), Thurso
Vice-Chairman: Robert Coghill, (Ind), Landward Caithness
- Ross Skye and Lochaber Planning Applications and Review Committee:
Chairman: David Chisholm, (Ind Members Group), Dingwall and Seaforth
Vice-Chairman: Bill Clark, (Ind), Caol and Mallaig
- Inverness Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey Planning Applications and Review Committee:
- Caithness Sutherland and Easter Ross Licensing Committee:
Chairman: Alasdair Rhind, (Ind), Tain and Easter Ross
- Ross Skye and Lochaber Licensing Committee:
Chairman: Margaret Paterson, (Ind), Dingwall and Seaforth
- Inverness Nairn and Badenoch and Strathspey Licensing Committee:
Chairman: Peter Corbett, (Ind), Inverness Central