/ Home / Your Council / News / News Releases / 2008 / October
Highland Junior Golf Championships at Spey Valley (17/10/08)
A total of 60 young golfers took part in the sixth Highland Junior Golf Championships held at Spey Valley Golf Course, Aviemore, on Thursday 16 October.
Inverness Royal Academy and Lossiemouth High School won the team events. Jamie Treasurer, Drew MacDonald and Greg Forsyth of Inverness Royal Acadmy won the Highland team event for the Bruce Robertson Trophy with a score of 243. This was one shot better than Invergordon Academy’s team of Ross Black, Lyle McAlpine and David Bremner.
Lossiemouth High School won the Brian Anderson Shield for the best Moray school team with a score of 233, seven strokes ahead of Milnes High School, Fochabers. The winning Lossiemouth team was Rodger Clark, Scott Little and Craig Smith. The Milnes High team was Ryan Copland, Andrew Young and David Rumbles.
Thomas Dingwall of Forres Academy won the Duncan Allan Quaich for recording the lowest boys' scratch score of 76. Runner-up was Rodger Clark of Lossiemouth High with a 77.
Sammy Vass, Tain Royal Academy, won the Grant Trophy for the best girls' scratch score, with 83, four strokes ahead of Kelsey MacDonald, University of Stirling.
The event was hosted and sponsored by Macdonald Aviemore Highland Resort and the prizes were presented by Alan Tait, Director of Golf at the Spey Valley course.
Willie MacKay, Highland Golf Manager, said: “We were delighted to again have the courtesy of this wonderful new course for the sixth year of this event. It proved a stern challenge but it was a great opportunity for our young golfers.
The leading scores were:
- Girls’ Scratch (The Grant Trophy). 1. Sammy Vass, Tain Royal Academy; 83; Kelsey MacDonald, University of Stirling, 87; 3. Hannah McCook, Grantown Grammar, 95.
- Girls’ Handicap (The Sutherland Trophy) 1. Jennifer Innes, Keith Grammar (net 78); 2. Karen MacKay, Kinlochbervie High, 82; 3. Julie Vass, Tain Royal Academy, 88.
- Boys Scratch (The Duncan Allan Quaich) 1. Thomas Dingwall, Forres Academy, 76; 2. Rodger Clark, Lossiemouth High, 77; 3. Gavin Hay, Grantown Golf Club, 78.
- Boys Handicap (Skibo Trophy): (0-8) 1. Peter Sangster, Thurso High, (net 75); John McCook, Grantown Grammar, 76; Ryan Copland, Milnes High, Fochabers, 78 (better inward half)
- Boys’ Handicap (Highland clubgolf Trophy) (9+): Ross Black, Invergordon Academy (net 76); 2. Scott Little, Lossiemouth High, 78 (BIH); Jack Tait, Kirkwall Grammar, 78 (BIH).