/ Home / Your Council / News / News Releases / 2009 / December
Registers of Scotland gifts historical plans of Highland Council headquarters (17/12/09)
Convener of The Highland Council, Councillor Sandy Park has expressed his gratitude to the Registers of Scotland for a gift of five framed plans tracing the history of the development of the site of the Council’s Headquarters at Glenurquhart Road, Inverness.
The images depicted cover from the 1871 ordnance survey map which shows the area as countryside through to the register of Sasines recording Inverness County Council purchasing the land in 1920. An ordnance survey map of 1930 shows the oldest part of the headquarters building – the former college - where Education, Culture and Sport, Social Work, Personnel and Housing and Property Services are now located. The last two frames show the most up-to-date map of the site and an aerial photograph.
The plans were presented to the Council to commemorate a recent visit by the Registers of Scotland Board and staff, to Inverness to launch their free house price search service together with promoting other services they provide. This visit marked the commencement of a national marketing campaign by the Registers of Scotland.
The Registers of Scotland are a Government agency responsible for running the land and property registers in Scotland. They are based in Edinburgh at Meadowbank House.
The free online house search at www.ros.gov.uk allows people to enter details of a locality, postcode, street, district or town for a six month search period and the service returns a list of addresses and associated prices found within the search criteria. The information provided is what can be found on the public property registers.
The framed plans gifted to the Council are currently on display in the headquarters chamber foyer and will be relocated to the Highland Archive and Registration Centre, Bught Road, Inverness for future preservation and consultation.