/ Home / Your Council / News / News Releases / 2009 / October
Time travellers fortnight - Cola-deug an t-siubhalaiche ama (08/10/09)
People looking for something to do over the October holidays can choose from ten exciting events and activities at Inverness Museum and Art Gallery.
Assistant Curator, Katey Boal is inviting people to join them during ‘Time Travellers Fortnight - Cola-deug an t-Siubhalaiche Ama’ by booking a place on 01463 237114.
On Saturday 10 October, meet Ray Owens, “The Highlander” as he tells participants what the clearances were really like. This event is free.
Discover a “Whole new world” on Wednesday 14 October from 2- 4pm. Learn some pioneering crafts at this workshop that families would have used when they emigrated and were exposed to whole new worlds meeting people from different countries. Places can be booked on this workshop at £2 per child.
On Thursday 15 October from 2-4pm children can join an event to make their own “suitcase of memories” to hold keepsakes and treasures. Places can be booked at £2 per child.
When families emigrated from the Highlands they encountered all sorts of fantastic new creatures. On Friday 16 October from 2-4pm children will be able to make their own Australian snake in “Creatures from Down Under”. This event can be booked at £2 per child.
Other events include:
• “Super Sixties” on Saturday 17 October 2-4pm at £2 per child. The 1960s had people emigrating from the highlands on the £10 ticket to Australia. Participants can make a bag inspired by the 60s.
• “Crazy quilt” on Wednesday 21 October 2-4pm at £2 per child. In many pioneering communities quilt making was an important part of life. This workshop will teach children how to make their own felt wall hanging inspired by the quilts.
• “Historic Toys” on Thursday 22 October 22 2-4pm at £2 per child. Learn what sorts of toys our grandparents played with. Make marbles and peg dolls.
• “Stories of Emigration” on Friday 23 October 23rd 2-4pm. This free family event with Bob Pegg will involve fantastic stories of emigration from the Highlands.
• “Spinning” on Saturday 24 October 24 a free drop-in event during the afternoon. Learn more about spinning and have a go at drop spindle at Inverness Museum and Art Gallery.
To book an event or for further information please contact Inverness Museum and Art Gallery tel: 01463 237114.