/ Home / Your Council / News / News Releases / 2011 / March
Seven candidates contest Wick Ward by-election (16/03/11)
Seven candidates will contest the forthcoming by-election to elect one councillor to serve The Highland Council’s Ward 3 – Wick.
The candidates are:
- Laurel Bush, Animaland, 16 Kennedy Terrace, Wick.
- Michael Anthony Carr, Inistore House, Castle Street, Dornoch (Scottish Conservative and Unionist)
- Claire Mairi Clark, 6 Couper Cottages, Barrock, Thurso. (Scottish Liberal Democrat)
- Neil MacDonald, 10 West Banks Terrace, Wick (Scottish Labour Party candidate)
- Jim Oag, Corbiegoe, Thrumster, Wick. (Independent)
- Gail Elizabeth Ross, 62 Argyle Square, Wick.(Scottish National Party (SNP) )
- Niall Smith, 24 Coach Road, Wick. (Independent)
Polling will take place between 7 am and 10 pm on Thursday 7 April at six polling stations, which will be situated at the Assembly Rooms, Wick (3); the Boys Brigade Hall (2); and St Fergus Church Hall (1)
The count will take place on the morning of Friday 8 April at the Assembly Rooms, Wick.
The vacancy has been caused by the resignation of Councillor Katrina MacNab, (Independent), one of three councillors representing Wick. The other two Ward Members are Councillor Bill Fernie, Independent, and Graham Smith, Independent Members’ Group.
Those intending to vote are reminded that the single transferable vote system is being used. Instead of using a cross, they should number the candidates in the order of their choice, putting a number 1 in the box next to the name of the candidate who is their first choice, 2 in the box next to their second choice and so on. Voters can mark as many choices as they wish. Voters are asked to put no other mark on the ballot paper as this could result in their vote not being counted.
The electorate is 5,559.
The current political representation of the Council is: Independent Group (24), Liberal Democrats (20), SNP (16), Labour (7), Independent Members' Group (6) Independent Alliance Group (4) Non-aligned (1) and Vacant (2).