/ Home / Your Council / News / News Releases / 2011 / March
Leanachan Challenge (23/03/11)
The Leanachan Challenge cross country race for High Schools was recently hosted by the Rural Education Trust at Torlundy, Lochaber on Friday 18 March.
Teams took part from Lochaber, Kinlochleven, and Mallaig High Schools and, for the first time this year, Kilchuimen Academy. Leanachan challenge is coordinated by The Highland Council’s Active Schools Coordinators.
The day started with blue skies so the 46 runners got off to a good start. S1 and S2 runners ran a course of 3.5kms and the S3 and S4 pupils 5.5kms. The S5 and 6 pupils ran through mud, snow and ice to complete a route of 8km.
By the end of the race the runners were all enduring cold, wet and windy conditions: All completed in good spirits however and enjoyed delicious hot soup and sandwiches prepared by the ladies at the Rural Education Trust.
Each runner received a medal for taking part. The shield for the overall winning school based on average place went to Lochaber High School with Mallaig and Kilchuimen in second and third positions. The prize for fastest girl went to Isla Mackay and the prize for fastest boy went to Callum Fraser, both from Lochaber High School.
The winners of the sections were:
- S1-2 Girls: 3rd Kelsey Macbeth, Mallaig; 2nd Rachael MacPherson, Lochaber; 1st Eilidh Moynihan, Lochaber.
- S1-2 Boys: 3rd Bruce Maclean, Lochaber; 2nd Mark Johnston, Mallaig; 1st Innes Blackhall, Lochaber.
- S3-4 Girls: 3rd Alisha Gillies, Mallaig; 2nd Hannah Smith , Kilchuimen; 1st Isla Mackay, Lochaber.
- S3-4 Boys: 3rd Bradley Cameron, Lochaber; 2nd Joseph Tangney, Lochaber; 1st Callum Fraser, Lochaber.
- S5-6 Girls: 1st Kenna Robertason, Mallaig. S5-6 Boys: 2nd Rhys Macleod, Mallaig; 1st Gavin Hosie, Kilchuimen.