/ Home / Your Council / News / News Releases / 2012 / June
Highland schools and communities celebrate The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee (01/06/12)
Schools and local communities in the Highlands are celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in a variety of ways over this weekend and the rest of June.
From the Castle of Mey in Caithness to Arisaig and Portree to Nairn, at tea parties, beach parties, and barbeques bunting will be flying throughout the Highlands.
Pipe bands, will be playing in Wick, Portree and Strathpeffer, A flotilla of boats will take part in the celebrations at Wick harbour and an aerobatic display will mark the events at Dingwall.
On 4 June, Inverness Castle will be one of the venues of the 2,012 Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacons that are being lit around the UK. At 8.30pm there will be city centre entertainment for spectators before they gather at Inverness Castle at 9.30pm for a special Finale Show before the Inverness Beacon will be lit at 10pm by Convener of The Highland Council Councillor Jimmy Gray above Inverness Castle. The show will be followed by a short fireworks display above Inverness Cathedral.
Some of the events taking place throughout the Highlands are listed below:
- 1/06/2012 Keiss Primary - Special Jubilee luncheon celebration
- 1/06/2012 Canisbay Primary - 1953 Coronation Photo to be re-created at Castle of Mey. The children and staff will be dressing as 1950s style pupils and children in order to recreate an old photo at the Castle of Mey. The original photo is of the Canisbay and Mey schools celebrating the Coronation Day in 1953 in front of the castle. People who were in the original photo have been invited to come and be a part of the photo and share a picnic with the school in the grounds of the castle.
- 1/06/2012 - Kilmuir Primary, Portree Jubilee tea-party for pupils, parents, grandparents, wider community and staff. All dressed up in their finery for the special occasion.
- 2/06/2012 Janet Street, Thurso - Diamond Jubilee Street Party at Janet Street, Thurso on Saturday 2 June from 18:00 hrs to 23:30 hrs. Temporary public entertainment licence granted.
- 2/06/2012 Dunbeath and Berriedale Community Council Jubilee Event. John Currie playing field and Dunbeath Hall. 2 - 5pm Games on playing field (All Ages). 6:30 -8:30pm Barbecue on playing field. 8pm -1 am Dance/Disco in Hall
- 3/06/2012 Thurso Beach - Diamond Jubilee Beach Party at Thurso Beach on Sunday 3 June from 14:00 hrs to 22:00 hrs.
- 4/06/2012 Dunbeath and Berriedale Community Council Jubilee Event at Berriedale Hall. 2 - 4pm Children's Games in Hall. 4 – 5pm Magician. 5 – 7pm Children's Barbecue. Times above are approximate starting times.
- 5/06/2012 Durness Primary - Jubilee Tea Party in the Village Hall. Parents and senior citizens are invited to attend. All attending are encouraged to wear a special celebration hat.
- 5/06/2012 Staffin Primary, Isle of Skye Jubilee tea-party for pupils, parents, grandparents, wider community and staff. All dressed up in their finery for the special occasion.
- 15/06/2012 Wick Harbour - The Wick Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest & Wick RNLI Lifeboat Day. 7.00pm – 11.00pm ‘SEAFEST’ Youth Music Concert at Wick Harbour. A showcase of young local talent in the Fish Mart at Wick Harbour.
- 16/06/2012 Wick - The Wick Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest & Wick RNLI Lifeboat Day. 10.45am – 11.30 Crowning Ceremony of the Wick Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest Queen and procession to Wick Harbour. The Wick Pipe Band will lead the Wick Diamond Jubilee procession from Wick St Fergus Church to the Market Square.
- Wick Harbour, 12:00 Noon. Wick Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest & RNLI Lifeboat Day Opening Ceremony. The Diamond Jubilee Queen and Royal Court, with invited guests, will attend the Harbour to declare the Wick Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest open.
- Wick Harbour, Noon to 6.00pm. Continuous Entertainment on HarbourFest Stage at Wick Harbour. A full programme of varied entertainment from all ages of local performers, commencing after the Opening Ceremony and continuing until late afternoon. Market stalls, RNLI stalls, children’s funfair, boats open to the public, trade and craft displays, vintage vehicle displays, Coastguard air-sea rescue demonstration, School Alley, boating and yachting demonstrations etc.
- Wick Harbour, 4.00pm. Unveiling of the Relocated Wick Harbour Cannon at the Salt Cellars. The Lord-Lieutenant, accompanied by the Royal Court, will unveil the relocated refurbished Wick Harbour Cannon.
- Wick Assembly Rooms, 7.30pm – 01.00am. The Wick Diamond Jubilee Dance. A licensed evening celebration dance at which the Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest Queen and Court will be present to draw the HarbourFest Raffle, award prizes for the best dressed boats and best dressed shop window.
- 17/06/2012 Wick - The Wick Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest & Wick RNLI Lifeboat Day. Wick Harbour, 10.00am –10.30am. Blessing of the Diamond Jubilee Flotilla Service led by the Salvation Army on the HarbourFest stage. The Royal Court and invited guests present.
- Wick Harbour 10.30am The Diamond Jubilee Flotilla. The Diamond Jubilee Queen wishes the departing vessels bon voyage before the Royal Court boards the Isabella Fortuna to lead 100+ decorated vessels of the Diamond Jubilee Flotilla round Wick Harbour and out to Wick Bay.
- Pulteneytown Parish Church, 6.30pm. Hymns of the Sea Thanksgiving Service. Diamond Jubilee Hymns of the Sea Service in Pulteneytown Parish Church with the Lord-Lieutenant and Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest Court in attendance.
- 30/06/2012 Castle of Mey Dunbeath and Berriedale Community Council Jubilee Event. Coach trip to the castle of Mey for the Over 70's. 2pm Leave from War Memorial Dunbeath. 3pm Go round castle and Gardens. 4pm Cream Tea in castle restaurant. 5pm Leave Castle of Mey to Retun to Dunbeath
- 4/06/2012 The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacon – Inverness
- 7.30pm there will be a special Ecumenical Diamond Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving in St Stephens Church in Church Street, Inverness.
- 8.30pm city centre entertainment for spectators before they gather at Inverness Castle at 9.30pm a special Finale Show before the Inverness Beacon is lit at 10pm above Inverness Castle. The Beacon is one of 2,012 that are being lit around the UK that night and the lighting of the Inverness Beacon will be followed by a short fireworks display above Inverness Cathedral.
- 7:30pm Essich Farm, Barn Dance featuring music by Bruce Macgregor and Friends. Lighting of a bonfire beacon and the release of Chinese Lanterns at 10pm.
- 5/06/2012 Balloch Primary - Red, White and Blue Day – all P1-7 pupils invited to dress up and have fun flying Union Jack Kites.
- 16/06/2012 Inverness - Queens Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Tri-Service Parade through the streets of Inverness featuring the Sea Cadet Corps, the 1st Highlanders Army Cadet Corps and the Air Training Corps at 2.30pm. The parade will march from Inverness Castle past the Town House to Northern Meeting Park where a Drumhead Service will be held.
- 5/06/2012 Inverlochy Primary - Jubilee Fun Day organised by Primary 5 pupils as their enterprise project. Includes a series of fun learning activities and events; children dressing up as members of the royal family and Beat the Queen Goalie.
- 5/06/2012 Arisaig Primary - Jubilee Barbeque and Bunting. Parents are invited to join the school for a barbeque in the playground. A visiting teacher from the University of Education, Zurich is attending.
- 1/06/2012 Cawdor celebrations. - Cawdor Primary School competition for pupils to dress appropriately for the day, some speeches, a cake cutting (£150 donated by Cawdor Community Association and cut by eldest in community) a round of activities for the pupils then tree planting.
- 3/06/2012 Nairn Community Big Picnic in Viewfield, Nairn (take your own picnic). Music, entertainment, 5-aside football, bouncy castle, wacky races, 12:30 - 4pm.
Ross and Cromarty
- 1/06/2012 Tore Primary Garden Party at 1pm with speeches (tying it in with literacy), formal dress, lemonade in champagne flutes and nibbles. Parents are coming in with new P1 pupils. The official opening of an outdoor classroom will also take place.
- 2/06/2012 Rosemarkie Park - Picnic in the Park - Saturday 2nd June 2012, 1pm - 4pm. To celebrate the opening of the new Rosemarkie Park. Bring along a picnic and a rug. Tea and home baking is also available. Some fun competitions include: The grandest crown. Fancy dress. Best decorated cake.
- 2/06/2012 Dingwall Rotary Club “JUBILEE WADE WALK”. The Wade Walk is one of Dingwall Rotary Club’s flagship events and provides an opportunity for a great day out whilst helping Rotary to raise money for local charities. The Black Isle Country Music Club presents “A Hooley in the Highlands” at the Royal British Legion. A fabulous array of artistes performing at this music festival.
- 3/06/2012 St Clement’s Church of Scotland, Dingwall - Special Service at 11am with everyone welcome. There will be a large number of Youth Groups present with Standard Bearers. Immediately following the Service, a Grand Parade of all Uniformed Groups will muster at the Royal British Legion at 10:45am and march to the church with standard bearers at 11:00am. The new colours of the Seaforth Highlands Regimental Association (Ross-shire Branch) will be dedicated at the service. The Black Isle Country Music Club presents “A Hooley in the Highlands” at the Royal British Legion. A fabulous array of artistes performing at this music festival.
- 4/06/2012 Strathgarve Primary Big Lunch – Strathgarve Village Hall. Each child is making a commemorative ceramic tile with Donna from 'Pot Luck' in Gairloch. The Community Council are holding 'A BIG LUNCH' in the village hall on Monday 4th June for everyone in the community. All the local school children and pre-school children are to be presented with a commemorative coin. There is to be music and games and a 50's fancy dress parade with prizes for best under-16 and best adult.
- 4/06/2012 Dingwall Jubilee Celebrations.
- Dingwall Business Association and Community Council party lunch on the High Street from 12:00 noon. The High Street is closed to all traffic, tables will be provided with decorations for picnics and party atmosphere. Complementary teas/coffees by DBA 12:00 to 2:00pm.
- Live music at the Cross from 12noon with Tin Pan Alley band. A variety of top class acts will entertain on stage throughout the day and evening up until 10:00pm.
- The Queen’s representative, Lord Lieutenant Janet Bowen will give an address at 3:40pm from the Cross.
- Fun Fair for all ages at Cromartie Car Park with Craft, Charity and Commercial stalls.
- Classic car display with fine examples from each decade of the past sixty years. MacKay’s garage has kindly arranged to host a mystery car competition all day on the High Street.
- Mini-Games and Football from 2:30pm at Dingwall Academy.
- 8:30pm - Aerobatic display on the South side of Dingwall near Mitchell Hill. Display Pilot Jim McTaggart from North Berwick will carry out a dazzling array of manoeuvres with his 200hp Acroduster Sport Biplane, complete with smoke system for added effect, in a display lasting about ten minutes. The best vantage points will be the South car park and the West end of the High Street although the aircraft will be visible from most of the town.
- 9:00pm, a huge beacon will be lit at Knockbain.
- An all-day barbecue, face painters, hair pleating, hair beading, Strathpeffer Pipe Band, Highland dancers and more will add to the promise of a great day out.
- 4/06/2012 Muir of Ord - Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Tea Party, Monday 4 June, from 10 am to 12 noon, in the Muir of Ord Village Hall. This is a free event, which has been kindly funded by The Highland Council Ward Discretionary Budget. At 9pm 1st Muir of Ord Scouts (Senior Section) will be lighting a beacon on Ord Hill with the permission of Mr and Mrs Steven Mackenzie, Auchmore Farm.
- 5/06/2012 Cromarty Primary School. Diamond Jubilee Sponsored Walk. Starts 1.30pm. Pupils and Parents will be dressed up in Red White and Blue to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee and raise money for the Parent Council funds. Waving flags made by the pupils, the whole school will walk through the town.
- 5/05/2012 Strathpeffer Primary and Nursery are holding a Right Royal Street Party at 1.30pm with a giant Grand Old Duke of York and a whole school Strip the Willow held in the playground.
- 5/06/2012 Kinlochbervie Primary Diamond Jubilee Tea Party. Parents and senior citizens are invited to the school to join in the celebrations with the children.
Skye and Lochalsh
- 1/06/2012 Portree - Skye & Lochalsh Diamond Jubilee Celebrations. Massed Pipes and Drums, highland dancers and the Scottish Internatonal Drum Major Display team performing in Portree Square on Friday the 1st of June at 8pm.
- 2/06/2012 Portree - Skye & Lochalsh Diamond Jubilee Celebrations. Saturday 2nd June - Jubilee March with community groups and services led by the Massed Pipes and Drums through Portree to the community centre carpark at 2pm. Charity stalls vintage cars, buses and motor bikes. BBQ, childrens slides. drum major display team and highland dancers. The bands will beat retreat in Portree Square at 4pm with a VIP guest taking the salute.