Housing Information

| Advice and Information on HousingCare and Repair
| Community Wardens | Handy Person SchemeHousing Stock | Lettings Areas | Other Registered Social Landlords | Registered Tenant Groups | Right to Buy | Special Needs Housing | Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers |

Advice and Information on Housing

If you have any queries about housing, you can write or phone:

Housing and Property Services, Rotterdam Street, Thurso, KW14 8AB, telephone 01847 805505, fax 01847 805508

The North Area Housing and Property Manager is Tina Luxton. She is principally based at:

Housing and Property Services, Drummuie, Golspie, KW10 6QN, telephone 01408 635386, fax 01408634041. 

Service Points in the Thurso Ward are:

At all Highland Council Service Points, you can:

In addition, at Thurso Service Point you can contact a housing officer.

If you are a council tenant and have an emergency repair to report outside office hours which are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, you can phone the emergency housing number - 08457 002005.

Finding Housing: because we have many more households on the waiting lists than we are able to accommodate in council housing, we have developed A Guide to Housing Options, which gives information on the various ways of finding housing in Highland.

Homelessness: If you become homeless, please contact a housing officer to obtain advice and information.  You write or phone the Thurso Housing and Property office direct or you can ask at the Service Point above to be put in contact with a housing officer.  If you become homeless outside office hours, please phone the emergency housing number - 08457 002005 so that the standby officer can help you access emergency accommodation.

| Return to top |

Care and Repair

The Care and Repair scheme offers free and confidential information and advice to older people and people with a disability who are homeowners or private tenants, to enable them to improve, repair or adapt their homes.

The Care and Repair agents for the Thurso ward are:

Pentland Housing Association
37 - 39 Traill Street
KW14 8EG

Tel: 01847 892507

| Return to top |

Community Wardens

You can contact the Community Wardens by phoning 01955 609547 or 01955 609528

Handy Person Scheme

The Handy Person Scheme has been established to assist elderly people and people with disabilities retain their independence by providing people to carry out a wide range of minor household repairs which are too small for a tradesperson and which are of a one-off kind. 

It is mainly aimed at owner occupiers, although with the landlord’s permission repairs can be carried out on rented properties.

In the Thurso Ward, you can contact:

Pentland Housing Association
37/39 Traill Street
KW14 8EG
Tel:  01847 892507
e-mail:  pha@pentlandhousing.co.uk

| Return to top |

Housing Stock

Look at the Ward Statistics page to obtain information on the total number of households and the number of council houses in the ward.

| Return to top |

Lettings Areas

The lettings areas in the Thurso ward are:

  • Thurso Central
  • Thurso East
  • Thurso West
  • Scrabster

| Return to top |

Other Registered Social Landlords

The following housing associations have general needs housing in the Thurso Ward

| Return to top |

Registered Tenant Groups

There is one registered tenant group in the Thurso Ward. 

Ormlie Community Association - contact Helen Allan, 108 Marr Terrace, Thurso. KW14 7SW E-mail ormlieca@tiscali.co.uk

If you are a council tenant elsewhere in Thurso and would like to form a group in your area, please contact your nearest Housing and Property office for information on how to go about this. 

| Return to top |

Right to Buy

The Thurso Ward is covered by "Pressured Area Status".  This means that council and housing association tenants who started a new tenancy on or after 30 September 2002 have their right to buy suspended.  This will last whilst the ward continues to be a pressured area. 

| Return to top |

Special Needs Housing 

In the Thurso Ward, the Council has a sheltered housing scheme in Oldfield Court, Thurso

The following housing associations have special needs housing in Thurso:

| Return to top |

Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers

The Council respects the rights of Gypsy/Travellers to maintain their travelling way of life.  There are 4 sites in Highland, owned by the Council, which provide accommodation and related services for Gypsy/Travellers. We recognise that sometimes Gypsy/Travellers camp on other land.  We have developed a protocol in line with Scottish Government guidelines that we will follow when responding to unauthorised camping by Gypsy/Travellers.

Housing and Property staff will respond to unauthorised camping on council land in the Thurso Ward.

Housing Information | Return to Index of Wards | Return to top |