Housing Information

| Advice and Information on Housing | Affordable Housing Developments | Care and Repair | Community Wardens | Crofting Schemes | Gypsy/Traveller Site | Housing Stock | Lettings Areas | Other Registered Social Landlords | Registered Tenant Groups | Right to Buy | Special Needs Housing | Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers |

Advice and Information on Housing

If you have any queries about housing, you can write or phone:

Housing and Property Services, Lochaber House, High Street, Fort William, PH33 6EL, telephone 01397 707299, fax: 01397 707247

The Housing and Property Manager (South) is Tracey Urry.  She is principally based in Inverness.

Service Points in or close to the Caol and Mallaig Ward are:

At all Highland Council Service Points, you can:

At Fort William Service Point, you can also contact a Housing Officer.

If you are a council tenant and have an emergency repair to report outside office hours, which are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, you can phone the emergency housing number - 08457 002005.

Finding Housing: because we have many more households on the waiting lists than we are able to accommodate in council housing, we have developed A Guide to Housing Options, which gives information on the various ways of finding housing in Highland.

Homelessness: If you become homeless, please contact a housing officer to obtain advice and information.  You can write or phone the Fort William Housing and Property Office direct or you can ask at the Service Points above to be put in contact with a housing officer.  If you become homeless outside office hours, please phone the emergency housing number - 08457 002005, so that the standby officer can help you access emergency accommodation

| Return to top |

Affordable Housing Developments

Information on Affordable Housing  |

| Return to top |

Care and Repair

The Care and Repair scheme offers free and confidential information and advice to older people and people with a disability who are homeowners or private tenants, to enable them to improve, repair or adapt their homes.

The Care and Repair agents for the Caol and Mallaig ward are:

Lochaber Housing Association
30 Fassifern Road
PH33 6XQ

Tel: 01397 702530

| Return to top |

Community Wardens

In the Caol and Mallaig Ward, Community Wardens cover Caol.  To contact the Community Warden for Caol, please phone 01397 707299.

| Return to top |

Crofting Schemes

Knoydart is designated as a high priority area for crofting, while the rest of the ward is designated as standard priority.

| Return to top |

Gypsy/Traveller Sites

There is a Gypsy/Traveller site with 14 pitches at Spean Bridge, open all year round. 

For information on how to apply for a pitch on the site, please contact the Fort William Housing and Property office.

| Return to top |

Housing Stock

Look at the Ward Statistics page to obtain information on the total number of households and the number of council houses in the ward.

| Return to top |

Lettings Areas

The lettings areas in the Caol and Mallaig Ward are:

  • Arisaig
  • Banavie
  • Caol
  • Corpach
  • Invergarry
  • Kinlochiel
  • Lochyside
  • Mallaig
  • Spean Bridge
  • Roy Bridge

| Return to top |

Other Registered Social Landlords

Lochaber Housing Association has general needs housing in Arisaig and on the Isle of Eigg

| Return to top |

Registered Tenant Groups

There are no registered tenant groups in the Caol and Mallaig Ward. 

If you are council tenant and would like to form a group, please contact your local Housing and Property office for infomation on how to do so.

| Return to top |

Right to Buy

The Caol and Mallaig Ward is covered by "Pressured Area Status".  This means that council tenants who started a new tenancy on or after 30 September 2002 have their right to buy suspended.  This will last whilst the ward continues to be a pressured area. .  

| Return to top |

Special Needs Housing 

In the Caol and Mallaig Ward, the Council has supported accommodation in Arisaig.

| Return to top |

Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers

The Council respects the rights of Gypsy/Travellers to maintain their travelling way of life.  There are 4 sites in Highland, owned by the Council, which provide accommodation and related services for Gypsy/Travellers. We recognise that sometimes Gypsy/Travellers camp on other land.  We have developed a protocol in line with Scottish Government guidelines that we will follow when responding to unauthorised camping by Gypsy/Travellers.

Housing and Property staff will respond to unauthorised camping on council land in the Caol and Mallaig Ward.

| Housing Information | Return to Index of Wards | Return to top |