Housing Information

| Advice and Information on Housing | Affordable Housing Developments | Care and Repair | Community WardensHousing Stock | Lettings Areas | Other Registered Social Landlords | Registered Tenant Groups | Right to Buy | Special Needs Housing | Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers |

Advice and Information on Housing

If you have any queries about housing, you can visit any Highland Council Service Point, phone the Service Centre on 01349 886602 or write to:

Housing and Property Services, Town House, Inverness, IV1 1JJ

If you wish to make a complaint, please go to the Council's Report a complaint page

The Housing and Property Manager (South) is Tracey Urry.  She is principally based in Inverness.

The Service Point in the Inverness Central ward is

At all Highland Council Service Points you can:

In addition, at Inverness Service Point you can contact a housing officer.

If you are a council tenant and have an emergency repair to report outside office hours which are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, you can phone the emergency housing number - 08457 002005.

Finding Housing: because we have many more households on the waiting lists than we are able to accommodate in council housing, we have developed A Guide to Housing Options, whcih gives information on the various ways of finding housing in Highland.

Homelessness: If you become homeless, please contact a housing officer to obtain advice and information.  You can write or phone the Housing and Property offices direct, or you can ask at the Service Point above to speak to a housing officer.  If you become homeless outside office hours, please phone the emergency housing number - 08457 002005 so that the standby officer can help you access emergency accommodation.

| Return to top |

Affordable Housing Developments

New housing has been developed in Anderson Street,

Cairn Housing Association has also developed affordable housing at Jamaica Place.

13 new homes have been made available for purchase under the Homestake scheme, through Cairn Housing Association, in Strothers Lane, Inverness.

The former Dalneigh hostel is being developed to provide 33 flats for rent and 10 for low cost home ownership through Homestake.

New housing has been developed at Mill Court, South Kessock.  These properties are available for low cost home ownership under the shared equity scheme.

| Return to top |

Care and Repair

The Care and Repair scheme offers free and confidential information and advice to older people and people with a disability who are homeowners or private tenants, to enable them to improve, repair or adapt their homes.

The Care and Repair agents for the Inverness Central ward are:

Care and Repair
Cairn Housing Association
Cairn House
30 Waterloo Place

Tel: 01463 229150

| Return to top |

Community Wardens

In the Inverness Central Ward, Community Wardens cover Merkinch and Dalneigh.  You can contact your Community Warden by phoning the housing office at 31 - 35 Craigton Avenue, 01463 718848

| Return to top |

Housing Stock

Look at the Ward Statistics page to obtain information on the total number of households and the number of council houses in the ward.

| Return to top |

Lettings Areas

The lettings areas in the Inverness Central Ward ward are:

  • South Kessock
  • Carse/Merkinch/Muirtown
  • Dalneigh
  • Central/Crown

| Return to top |

Other Registered Social Landlords

The following housing associations have housing in Inverness.

| Return to top |

Registered Tenant Groups

There are 5 registered tenant groups in the Inverness Central Ward. 

  • Glendoe Terrace Residents Association - contact Helen Gladstone, 94 Glendoe Terrace, Inverness
  • South Kessock Residents Association - contact Yvonne Stewart, 72 Rosehough Road, Inverness
  • Capel Inch Residents Association - contact Mrs Cath Mackay, 88 Anderson Street, Inverness 
  • Abbey Cameron Tenants and Residents Association - contact  Iver Bisset, 2 Abban Street, Inverness
  • Dalneigh Residents Association - contact Mrs Tracey Macpherson, 60 St Valery Avenue, Inverness
  • More information on Tenant Participation

| Return to top |

Right to Buy

The Inverness Central Ward is covered by "Pressured Area Status".  This means that council tenants who started a new tenancy on or after 30 September 2002 have their right to buy suspended.  This will last whilst the ward continues to be a pressured area. 

| More information on the Right to Buy.

| Return to top |

Special Needs Housing 

In the Inverness Central Ward, the Council has sheltered housing schemes in:

  • Balnacraig Court
  • Balnacraig Road
  • Haugh Court
  • Haugh Road
  • Queen Mother House
  • St John's Road
  • St Mary's Road

The following housing associations also have sheltered and special needs housing in the Inverness Central ward

| Return to top |

Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers

The Council respects the rights of Gypsy/Travellers to maintain their travelling way of life.  There are 4 sites in Highland, owned by the Council, which provide accommodation and related services for Gypsy/Travellers. We recognise that sometimes Gypsy/Travellers camp on other land.  We have developed a protocol in line with Scottish Government guidelines that we will follow when responding to unauthorised camping by Gypsy/Travellers.

Housing and Property staff will respond to unauthorised camping on council land in the Inverness Central Ward.

| Housing Information | Return to Index of Wards | Return to top |