Housing Information

Advice and Information on Housing | Affordable Housing Developments | Care and RepairGypsy/Traveller SiteHousing Stock | Lettings Areas | Other Registered Social Landlords | Registered Tenant Groups | Right to Buy | Special Needs Housing | Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers |

Advice and Information on Housing

If you have any queries about housing, you can write or phone:

Housing and Property Services, Ruthven Road, Kingussie, PH21 1EJ, telephone 01540 664510, fax: 01540 661004

The Housing and Property Manager (South) is Tracey Urry.  She is principally based in Inverness.

Service Points in the Badenoch and Strathspey Ward are:

At all Highland Council Service Points, you can:

In addition, at Kingussie Service Point, you can contact a housing officer.

If you are a council tenant and have an emergency repair to report outside office hours which are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, you can phone the emergency housing number - 08457 002005.

Finding Housing: because we have many more households on the waiting lists than we are able to accommodate in council housing, we have developed A Guide to Housing Options, which gives information on the various ways of finding housing in Highland.

Homelessness if you become homeless, please contact a housing officer to obtain advice and information.  You can write or phone the Kingussie Housing and Property Services direct, or you can ask at the Service Points above to be put in contact with a housing officer.  If you become homeless outside office hours, please phone the emergency housing number - 08457 002005, so that the standby officer can help you access emergency accommodation.

| Return to top |

Affordable Housing Developments

Information on Affordable Housing  |

| Return to top |

Care and Repair

The Care and Repair scheme offers free and confidential information and advice to older people and people with a disability who are homeowners or private tenants, to enable them to improve, repair or adapt their homes.

The Care and Repair agents in the Badenoch and Strathspey ward are:

Care and Repair
Cairn Housing Association
Cairn House
30 Waterloo Place

Tel: 01463 229150

| Return to top |

Gypsy/Traveller Site

There is a Gypsy/Traveller site at Newtonmore.  The site is open from Maarch to September and has 7 pitches.

For information on how to apply for a pitch, please contact the local Housing and Property office. 

| Return to top |

Housing Stock

Look at the Ward Statistics page to obtain information on households and housing stock in the ward.

| Return to top |

Lettings Areas, Demand and Allocations

The Highland Housing Register lettings areas in the Badenoch and Strathspey Ward are shown below. The Hiousing Prospects page gives useful information about demand for and turnover of social rented housing.

  • Aviemore
  • Boat of Garten
  • Carrbridge
  • Cromdale
  • Dalwhinnie
  • Dulnain Bridge
  • Grantown on Spey
  • Kincraig
  • Kingussie
  • Laggan
  • Nethy Bridge
  • Newtonmore

| Return to top |

Other Registered Social Landlords

| Return to top |

Registered Tenant Groups

There are no registered tenant groups in the Badenoch and Strathspey Ward.  If you are a council tenant and would like to form a tenants group, please contact your local Housing and Property office for advice on how to do this.

| Return to top |

Right to Buy

The Badenoch and Strathspey Ward is covered by "Pressured Area Status".  This means that council tenants who started a new tenancy on or after 30 September 2002 have their right to buy suspended.  This will last whilst the ward continues to be a pressured area.   

| Return to top |

Special Needs Housing 

In the Badenoch and Strathspey Ward, the Council has sheltered housing schemes in Collie Cottages and Kinveachy Gardens, Aviemore.

There is also some housing association sheltered and special needs housing.

| Return to top |

Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers

The Council respects the rights of Gypsy/Travellers to maintain their travelling way of life.  There are 4 sites in Highland, owned by the Council, which provide accommodation and related services for Gypsy/Travellers. We recognise that sometimes Gypsy/Travellers camp on other land.  We have developed a protocol in line with Scottish Government guidelines that we will follow when responding to unauthorised camping by Gypsy/Travellers.

Housing and Property staff will respond to unauthorised camping on council land in the Badenoch and Strathspey Ward.  

| Housing Information | Return to Index of Wards | Return to top |