Housing Information

| Advice and Information on Housing | Affordable Housing Development | Care and RepairCommunity Wardens | Crofting Schemes | Gypsy/Traveller SiteHousing Stock | Lettings Areas | Other Registered Social Landlords | Registered Tenant Groups | Right to Buy | Special Needs Housing | Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers |

Advice and Information on Housing

If you have any queries about housing, you can write or phone:

Housing and Property Services, Lochaber House, High Street, Fort William, PH33 6EL, telephone 01397 707299, fax 01397 707247

The Housing and Property Manager (South) is Tracey Urry.  She is principally based in Inverness.

Service Points in the Fort William and Ardnamurchan Ward are:

At all Highland Council Service Points you can:

In addition, at Fort William Service Point you can contact a housing officer.

If you are a council tenant and have an emergency repair to report outside office hours which are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, you can phone the emergency housing number - 0845  7002005.

Finding Housing: because we have many more households on the waiting list than we are able to accommodate in council housing, we have developed A Guide to Housing Options, which gives information on the various ways of finidng housing in Highland.

Homelessness: if you become homeless, please contact a housing officer to obtain advice and information.  You can contact the Fort William Huosing and Property office direct, or else ask at the Service Points above to be put in contact with a housing officer.  If you become homeless outside office hours, please phone the emergency housing number - 0845 7002005, so that the standby officer can help you access emergency accommodation

| Return to top |

Affordable Housing Development

The Council is developing new housing at the Angus Centre and the Former Distillery site, Fort William

More information on Affordable Housing Development |

Care and Repair

The Care and Repair scheme offers free and confidential information and advice to older people and people with a disability who are homeowners or private tenants, to enable them to improve, repair or adapt their homes.

The Care and Repair agents for the Fort William and Ardnamurchan ward are:

Lochaber Housing Association
30 Fassiferm Road
PH33 6XQ

Tel: 01397 702530

| Return to top |

Community Wardens

In the Fort William and Ardnamurchan Ward, Community Wardens cover the Plantation in Fort William and Kinlochleven.  To contact your community warden, please phone 01397 707299   

| Return to top |

Crofting Schemes

Ardnamurchan and Moidart are designated as high priority areas for crofting.  Appin is designated as low priority.  The rest of the ward is standard priority.

| Return to top |

Gypsy/Traveller Site

There is a Gypsy/Traveller site, with 12 pitches, at Kentallan, which is open all year round.

For information on how to apply for a pitch, please contact the Fort William Housing and Property office.

| Return to top |

Housing Stock

Look at the Ward Statistics page to obtain information on the total number of households and the number of council houses in the ward.

| Return to top |

Lettings Areas

The lettings areas in the Fort William and Ardnamurchan Ward are:

  • Achaphubuil
  • Acharacle
  • Ardgour
  • Ballachulish
  • Claggan
  • Drimmin
  • Duror
  • Fort William
  • Glencoe
  • Inverlochy
  • Kentallan
  • Kilchoan
  • Kinlochleven
  • Lochaline
  • North Ballachulish
  • Onich
  • Strontian

| Return to top |

Other Registered Social Landlords

  • Lochaber Housing Association has housing in Achnaphubuil, Acharacle, Ardgour, Ballachulish, Duror, Fort William, Glencoe, Kilchoan, Kinlochleven, North Ballachulish and Strontian.

| Return to top |

Registered Tenant Groups

There is one registered tenant group in the Fort William and Ardnamurchan Ward.

  • Plantation Community Association - contact Lesley Boath, 22 Kennedy Road, Fort William.

If you are a council tenant elsewhere  in the Ward and would like to form a group, please contact your local Housing and Property office for advice on how to do so.

| Return to top |

Right to Buy

The Fort William and Ardnamurchan Ward is covered by "Pressured Area Status".  This means that council tenants who started a new tenancy on or after 30 September 2002 have their right to buy suspended.  This will last whilst the ward continues to be a pressured area. 

| More information on the Right to Buy

| Return to top |

Special Needs Housing

There are council houses with alarms systems in Strontian.

| Return to top |

Unauthorised Camping by Gypsy/Travellers

The Council respects the rights of Gypsy/Travellers to maintain their travelling way of life.  There are 4 sites in Highland, owned by the Council, which provide accommodation and related services for Gypsy/Travellers. We recognise that sometimes Gypsy/Travellers camp on other land.  We have developed a protocol in line with Scottish Government guidelines that we will follow when responding to unauthorised camping by Gypsy/Travellers.

Housing and Property staff will respond to unauthorised camping on council land in the Fort William and Ardnamurchan Ward.