Lochaber Joint Ward Forum – 25 June 2007
Ward 12 Caol and Mallaig and
Ward 22 Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Summary and Action Sheet
Present: Councillors Allan Henderson, Brian Murphy, Donald Cameron, Bill Clark, Michael Foxley, Eddie Hunter, Bren Gormley; Duror and Kentallen Community Council; Sunart Community Council, Kilmallie Community Council, Association of Lochaber Community Councils, Fort William Community Council; Arisaig and District Community Council; Spean Bridge and Achnacarry Community Council; Ballachulish Community Council; West Ardnamurchan Community Council , Voluntary Action Lochaber; Caol Regeneration Company.
Apologies: Archie Lang, Robert Slezas, Margaret MacIntyre, Chief Inspector Ian Bryce, Moira Hartley, Canna Primary School Board.
Officials in attendance Dot Ferguson (Chief Executive’s Service); Lynne Slezas; Iain MacKay (Community Wardens); Mike Leary (TEC Services), Colin MacKenzie (Planning & Development Service); Theresa James (NHS Highland); Larry Wilmot (Social Work Service); Rosemary Bridge (Education, Culture and Sport).
Chief Executive’s (CE)
Education, Culture and Sport (ECS)
Housing and Property (H & P)
Planning and Development (P & D)
Social Work (SW)
Listed below is the action required as a result of the decisions/discussions taken by the Lochaber Joint Ward Forum at their meeting held on 25 June 2007.
Please arrange to take the required action on the basis of this Action Sheet.
ITEM NO. HEADING DECISION ACTION TIMESCALE/WHO?
2 Local Plan briefing
Position paper presented by Colin MacKenzie
No specific actions identified other than those outlined in the paper
Ongoing – P&D
3 Health Issues
Discussion led by Councillor Bren Gormley seeking views on health issues
• Invernevis House – timescale to be announced - HC
• Glencoe Hospital – political support sought for new hospital – waiting Ministerial announcement re existing hospital - HC
• Belford as a Rural General Hospital still a key priority. - NHS/HC
• Out of Hours – no changes expected - N/A
• Elderly Services Review – HC will work closely with partners to ensure this works - NHS/SW
• Belford Hospital parking – try to arrange additional parking with HC – NHS/TECS
4 Community Safety
Report circulated No police reps available at Forum as they had been called to an incident. To be discussed at next Joint Forum - NC
Question & Answer Session
• Rabbits – causing severe nuisance and destroying significant numbers of plants. Solutions to be identified and costed - TECS
• Pinegrove youth area – closed since October. Will be re-opened by beginning of July - TECS
• Rapsons – poor state of buses. Grant application been submitted but funding source currently being reviewed Lochaber Transport Forum (LTF) moniroting situation - LTF
• Post Office closures - Council's position to be confirmed. - CE's
• Councillors must work together for whole of Lochaber and try to put political differences aside. - HC
• Ballachulish Shinty Pitch - Require confirmation re grant HC - ECS
• Recycling – consider plastics - Submitted application to expand recycling service but this has been rejected. Will continue to attempt to source funding, although plastics recycling very difficult to achieve. - TECS
• Is any Highland waste being shipped abroad ? - To be confirmed - TECS
• Fora action sheets - Ensure they are standing item - CE's
• Hydrotherapy Pool - Can further funding be allocated by HC? - ECS
• A82 - Need to maintain pressure to ensure upgrade. - HC
• Councillor details and Forum dates to be issued to media - CE's
• Buses speeding through Ballachulish - Raise with police and Rapson's - CE's/NC/Rapson's
• Concern over level of police staffing - Serious concerns re vandalism etc - CE's/NC
• Old Fort William Primary - Issue needs to be addressed. Related to access to trunk road. - ECS
• Banavie/Caol primaries - Full consultation will be carried out with both communities - ECS