/ Home / Your Environment / Planning / Development Plan / Supplementary Guidance
Supplementary Planning Guidance
Supplementary guidance and advice notes are intended for use by the public, developers and planners. Considering this guidance before you submit a planning application should give you a better understanding of some of the factors that guide the decision making process, and help you to provide the information that we are likely to need to ensure your proposal is line with Council policy. Ultimately this should make for speedier and more efficient decisions.
The Council produces a variety of planning guidance. Common types include:
- Development briefs or master plans, which provide a detailed explanation of how the Council would like to see particular sites or small areas develop;
- Strategies or frameworks on specific issues, for example guidance on the location of large wind farms;
- Detailed policies, for example on the design of new development;
Where the Council intends that the planning guidance will be Supplementary Guidance forming part of the Development Plan, it ensures that the guidance is derived from the plan, and has been the subject of discussion and engagement.
Existing planning guidance can be viewed below. The Council has been preparing a number of these quite recently with the intention that many of them will be statutorily adopted as Supplementary Guidance in due course. Other guidance, including older guidance, may need further revision and consultation to bring it up-to-date and particularly if it is to become Supplementary Guidance. We will update this webpage in due course to further clarify the current status and intended future status of each document.
Consultations will appear here when relevant.
Statutory Supplementary Guidance
Interim Supplementary Guidance
- Affordable Housing (superseded by Developer Contributions SG)
- Developer Contributions: Supplementary Guidance (for Committee, March 2013)
- Dingwall Developer Contributions (pdf 3mb)
- Education and New Residential Developments (superseded by Developer Contributions SG)
- Highland's Statutorily Protected Species Supplementary Guidance (for Committee, March 2013)
- Houses in Multiple Occupation (for Committee, March 2013)
- Housing in the Countryside and Siting and Design (for Committee, March 2013)
- Inverness City Centre Development Brief (for Committee, March 2013)
- Managing Waste in New Developments Interim Supplementary Guidance (for Committee, March 2013)
- Nigg Development Masterplan (for Committee, March 2013)
- Onshore Wind Energy Interim Supplementary Guidance
- Physical Constraints Interim Supplementary Guidance (for Committee, March 2013)
- Proposals for Small-Scale Wind Turbines: Interim Supplementary Guidance
- Public Art Strategy: Supplementary Guidance (for Committee, March 2013)
- Sandown Development Brief (for Committee, March 2013)
Draft Supplementary Guidance
- Draft Guidance will appear here when relevant.
Development Briefs and Framework Plans
Development Briefs and Framework Plans for particular sites or areas can be found by clicking the relevant area of Highland below.
Other Planning Advice
Other Planning advice is available here.