Planning guidance and advice

Types of permission

Full planning permission

This covers the majority of applications for new buildings, extensions, alterations to existing buildings and changing the use of a building or piece of land. Full details of your proposals need to be submitted for this type of consent.

Permission in principle

This allows you to apply for the principle of a development on a site without providing full details of the design or siting at the outset. This consent does not actually allow you to start your development – it just means that it is acceptable in principle. A new application will need to be submitted giving the full details of the proposals before any development can start (application for the Approval of Matters Specified in Condition).

Approval of matters specified in a condition

This application needs to be submitted following the granting of planning permission for Permission in Principle. This needs to include full details of the proposal as well as any other information requested as part of the conditions of the original consent.

Advertisement consent

Some advertisements have ‘deemed consent’ meaning that formal consent is not required. For other proposals you will need to apply for Advertisement Consent.

Certificate of lawfulness (existing)

This is required for a retrospective application for an existing building or use which does not have consent or has been implemented in breach of planning regulations.

Certificate of lawfulness (proposed)

Used for an application for a Lawful Development Certificate for a proposed use or development and may be used to verify that your proposal is a Permitted Development.

Conservation area consent

This is required for applications to demolish a structure within a conservation area.

Listed building consent

Most works to a listed building, internal or external require listed building consent, and may also require full planning permission.

Agricultural prior notification

This consent is used for developments of agricultural buildings on farm holdings. The Planning Authority has 28 days to determine whether or not the proposal is permitted development.

Tree preservation orders

Consent may be required for works to trees if they are subject to a Tree Preservation Order or are within a conservation area.

Mineral works

Required for the extraction of minerals.

Marine fish farms

Required for the development of marine fish farms

Applications under Reg 62 of the Habitats Regulations

Environmental impact assessment screening opinion

If you want to seek the planning authority's formal opinion on whether or not an EIA is required.

Environmental impact assessment scoping opinion

If your development requires an EIA and you want to formally seek the planning authority's opinion on what should be covered.

Hazardous Substance

Required if you propose to have present on your land hazardous substances at or above specified controlled quantities.

Is there anything wrong with this page?