Self-isolation Support Grant
Covid-19 Self-Isolation Support Grant
The Scottish Government is providing a grant to people who are employed on a low-income and who will lose income as a result of being required by Test and Protect to self-isolate or instructed by Test and Protect to stay at home to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
Self-isolation payments are taxable. You will pay tax on the payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax.
You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment. If you are self-employed you must report the payment on your Self-Assessment tax return.Applications must be received within 28 days of being formally advised to self-isolate or stay at home.
Eligibility affecting those instructed to Self-Isolate or to stay at home from 1 May 2022
- Please check your eligibility for the Self Isolation Support Grant using the following Scottish Government link; self-isolation-grant
- People who are 16 or over, live in the Highland Council area and have received notification from NHS Test and Protect Service to Stay At Home, whom have tested positive for COVID-19, confirmed by a PCR test are eligible to apply.
- Unvaccinated close contacts are no longer eligible for a grant, only those who test positive for Covid-19 via a PCR test are eligible.
- Parent & Carer eligibility is where the child or cared for person has tested positive for Covid-19 via a PCR test.
- As a Parent or Primary Carer for a child or cared for person you are not eligible for the grant while you are self-isolating and waiting for their PCR test result
- There is a cap of a maximum of 3 individual Self-Isolation Support Grant awards, within a rolling 12-month period commencing from 1 May 2022.
- The Self Isolation Support Grant Award from 1 May 2022 is £225.00 which shall be paid to your Bank Account if your Self-Isolation Support Grant is successful.
- Applicants applying for a Self-Isolation Support Grant will require to return a positive PCR result, Check if you qualify and how to apply.
These PCR Testing kits will be issued per the link above and should returned by post as instructed.
To apply, you must provide:
- a bank statement
- proof of employment or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact and
- a statement declaring that you will experience reduced income during your period of self-isolation.
- if you are caring for a child, confirmation that you are the parent or primary carer, you meet all the qualifying criteria and you will have a loss in earnings as a result of staying at home to care for the child
The recommendation is that you apply via the Scottish Government Link, above, to commence your application process.
Once you have completed the initial checks, The Scottish Government Link, will return you to complete an online application though our Scottish Welfare Fund page:-
You can apply online though our Scottish Welfare Fund page:
- Click on Apply for a grant
- Choose the option "You need help due to circumstances related to Coronavirus/COVID-19".
- In Help You Need select "Household Goods - Other"& then in "Anything Else" type "Covid-19 Self-Isolation Support Payment".
What happens next?
You will receive a letter or an email confirming our decision.
If you qualify for a grant, the award will be paid into your bank account.
If you do not meet all the above criteria but are on a low income and self-isolation will cause you hardship you can apply for a Crisis Grant through the Scottish Welfare Fund. If you have no recourse to public funds you may be able to access other support depending on your circumstances. Our Welfare Support Team can help you claim. They can be contacted on 0800 090 1004 (you will not be charged for this call).