Review of Polling Places
Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places
Each council is required by law to carry out a review every four years to make sure it provides facilities for voting and that polling places are accessible to all electors, including voters with a disability.
The next compulsory review is scheduled to take place in October 2018. However, the Highland Council has agreed to initiate a preliminary review ahead of next year’s statutory review. The purpose is to have a longer period of consultation to ascertain stakeholders’ view and opinions, in particular, undertake a comparison between the original polling scheme used in 2015 with the revised Highland Council’s scheme that was devised in 2017.
Timetable for each of the stages of this preliminary review.
- Notification of the "preliminary" review - Publish notice of the preliminary review - Monday 2 October 2017
- Administering the "preliminary" review - Undertake a review of current polling stations and districts - week beginning Tuesday 3 October 2017
- Hold meeting with Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
- Hold meeting with Ross, Skye and Lochaber
- Hold meeting with Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey
- Deadline for representations and comments on the existing and proposed arrangements for polling districts and places - Wednesday 31 January 2018
- Publish Returning Officer’s comments - Wednesday 28 February 2018
As detailed in the Notice of Review, any representations should be made not later than Wednesday, 31 January 2018 for comments on the Polling Districts and Polling Places.
The outcome of the preliminary review will form the basis of the compulsory review which will commence on 1 October 2018. It anticipated that the preliminary review will have dealt with many issues in advance of the following stages:
- Notification of the review - Publish notice of the review. Formal review to commence on Monday 1 October 2018
- Consultation - Representations and comments on the proposed arrangements for polling districts and places to commence Monday 1 October to Monday 10 December 2018 (10 weeks)
- Concluding the review - After considering all of the representations, the results of the review to be reported to Committee in February 2019
- Publishing the conclusions after approval has been sought, details of the new polling districts and polling places must be available to the public (to include reasons for choosing a particular Polling District or Place) in March 2019
- Appeals Process - Following the conclusion of the LA review, representations can be made to the Electoral Commission. Final report to Highland Council in April 2019
On completion of stage 8 and following a final report to Highland Council the new scheme will be in place for all elections after that date.