Back to school
Steps to help stay safe in school
Advice and guidance to help stay safe in school
We are aware that positive cases of Covid-19 can cause some local anxiety in the community. Please be reassured that we are working with our partners in NHS Highland Health Protection Team to continually monitor the situation in Highland. Guidance has been provided to teachers in all our schools regarding any incidence of Covid-19 or similar symptoms within the school community.
Don't go to school or work if you are ill
For most people, Covid-19 will be a mild illness.
The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are recent onset of:
- new continuous cough and/or
- high temperature and/or
- a loss of, or change in, normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)
If you develop symptoms you should remain self-isolating at home and arrange a test via NHS Inform or, if you can't get online, by calling 0800 028 2816. People who live in the same household as the person with symptoms should self-isolate straight away.
Help to protect yourself and others
There are things you can do to help reduce the risk of you and anyone you live with getting ill with COVID-19
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- wash your hands as soon as you get home
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
Please also follow the five rules that are highlighted in the national FACTS campaign:
- Face coverings in enclosed spaces (see Young Scot's website for information and advice for face coverings in secondary schools)
- Avoid crowded places indoors or outdoors
- Clean your hands regularly and remember to clean hard surfaces that you might be touching
- Two metre physical distancing remains in place – this is especially important at the school gates when dropping off or collecting your children.
- Self-isolate and book a test if you have any of the symptoms of Covid19 - a cough, a temperature, or a loss of, or change in your sense of taste or smell
There is evidence of increasing transmission across Scotland. Covid19 is still here and it is important that everyone takes responsibility and follows the national guidance to keep them and others safe. Everyone in Highland, Argyll and Bute has a role to play to keep the number of positive cases as low as possible.