Ardnamurchan High School Celebration of Success 2017
Ardnamurchan High School’s annual “Celebration of success” which was held in the school last Tuesday evening, was well attended and gave families, pupils, staff and members of the community the chance to come together to celebrate the achievements of the young people.
In his speech, Head teacher, Mr Millar-Craig spoke of the remarkable successes of young people during the session such as the winning of the Highland final of the Maths Challenge, the school’s record of 100% positive destinations for its young people, the introduction of the Youth Philanthropy Initiative (YPI) and the success of the Gaelic Education award.
He spoke of the importance of young people reflecting on their own views and building bridges with people of all beliefs in the light of recent tragedies and acts of terrorism in the UK.
With reference to the uncertainty and change associated with the proposals for the governance of schools he said: “Change is coming, and parent councils and all parents , I’m sure, will be closely involved. Here in Ardnamurchan, we will work together to make this a success for our young people.”
Senior pupils, Kate Bradley and Innes Ferguson delivered a witty overview of the school year with all its trips, events and successes and the excellent music was provided by Janie Paterson and Anna Jackson, The AHS Scratch Band, Jonathan Ewers, with a classical guitar solo, the AHS Mod Folk Group and Kate Bradley on Clarsach.
In keeping with the school’s Gaelic ethos, the evening included a short video prepared for the recent Gaelic Education award exemplifying the successes of young people through Gaelic.
Special Awards this year went to:
- Overall School winner (pupil with the most staff nominations under the four capacities of the curriculum for Excellence) : Dugald Macintyre
- Rural Excellence Award : John Clark and Ewan MacDonald
- ‘SGEULACHD’ Award for Enterprise: Ruby Tilling
- Rotary Club of Lochaber Prize for Endeavour: Charlie Pleming
- Ewan Gillespie Memorial Trophy: Hannah Hunter
- Lochaber Housing Association Cup for Academic Achievement in 2015-16: Charlie Pleming