Communities invited to find out how to restore War Memorials
The public are being invited to 3 events being held in in the Highlands to find out more about how to obtain funding to repair and conserve local war memorials.
The Highland Council is supporting the War Memorials Trust who is holding the events in Thurso, Inverness and Fort William on 5, 6 and 7 October respectively. Each event runs from 7 – 9pm.
Councillor Allan Henderson Chair of The Highland Council’s Community Services Committee said: “The War Memorials Trust is a charity that works for the protection and conservation of war memorial heritage across the United Kingdom. It is providing grants to local people of up to 75% of eligible costs for conservation and repair projects to memorials.
“There are still grants available from the Centenary Memorials Restoration Fund and I would urge anyone who wants to find out more about how to get funding to conserve their local war memorial to go along to their nearest workshop.”
The workshops will provide guidance and help on:
· How to undertake a basic assessment of the condition of a war memorial.
· How to identify what works may be necessary.
· Guidance on the eligibility criteria the Trust applies to applications for funding.
· How to complete a grant pre-application form, including the submission of images of the memorial, which the Trust will use to assess the suitability of works proposed.
· How to obtain quotes.
The Trust will also try and help with any other questions attendees may have about applying for funding.
The workshops are free to attend and will take place in the following locations
- Monday 5 October, Thurso, 7- 9pm at Caithness Horizons, Education Room (formerly Thurso Old Town Hall) High Street, Thurso, KW14 8AJ http://www.caithnesshorizons.co.uk/
- Tuesday 6 October, Inverness, 7- 9pm at Highland Council Chamber, Highland Council Offices, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX www.highland.gov.uk/location
- Wednesday 7 October, Fort William, 7- 9pm at Nevis Centre, An Aird Footpath, For William, PH33 6AN http://www.neviscentre.co.uk/
Tea and coffee will be provided at each of the workshops. For further information please contact: War Memorials Trust on 020 7233 7356 / firstname.lastname@example.org