The Inverness West Link
The West Link Road is an ambitious project which will complete the link between the Dores roundabout and the A82 at Torvean, crossing the River Ness. There are many benefits, including reducing traffic congestion in the city centre, improving connections and assisting the economic development of the city. Members approved planning permission for the Inverness West Link road in April 2014. Funding was agreed for the West Link Road and associated enhanced sports facilities in March 2015. Enabling works began in September 2015 in preparation for the building of the road.
For up to date information please go to the Community Liaison Group page.
Progress update videos
- Contract awarded for new golf course 8 July 2016
- Pupils plant for the future 7 June 2016
- Turf cutting ceremony marks the start of West Link Stage 1 10 May 2016
- West Link Stage 1 works will commence on Tuesday 3rd May 29 Apr 2016
- Inverness West Link Stage 1 contract awarded 8 March 2016
- Highland council welcomes Scottish rugby funding for Highland 18 February 2016
- West link tenders issued 19 November 2015
- Preparatory works to begin on Inverness West Link Road 1 Sept 2015
- Plans approved for enhanced sports facilities at Canal Parks 18 August 2015
- West Link given the green light to go ahead 13 August 2015
- Highland Council welcomes approval of footpath orders 10 August 2015
- Chief Officer get birdseye view of West Link 3 June 2015
- Objections to West Link CPO resolved 19 March 2015
- Council agrees funds of £55 million costs - West Link road and enhanced sports facilities 12 March 2015
- Updated Cost of West Link reported 10 February 2015
- Council to be presented with West Link Road report 23 December 2014
Read about Inverness City Region Deal.
Update April 2016
Work is scheduled to begin on building the West Link in May 2016. Read more information on Phase 1 of the project.
Update March 2016
We have awarded the Inverness West Link Stage 1 and the Canal Parks Enhancement contract to Wills Bros Civil Engineering Ltd with a value of £22.5M. Six tenders were received with Wills Bros submitting the lowest tender, and the contract was awarded on the 4 March 2016, with the tender sum being below the allocated budget.
An inaugural meeting was held on 21 March. It is anticipated that works will commence early in Spring to enable the in river temporary works to occur from July to October, the period agreed with SEPA to minimise environmental disturbance. Works are anticipated to be complete by the end of 2017.
Stage 1 is the link from Dores Road to the A82.
Tenders for the golf course will be invited in the coming weeks with the golf course planned to be complete and playable in Spring 2019. This will then allow the construction of Stage 2 to commence with the entire project planned to be complete by late summer 2020.
A community liaison meeting is to be held on 14 March 2016. This will now consider the construction phase of the West Link and seek to inform the community and limit disturbance and disruption. Wills Bros will attend to introduce themselves as well as the Highland Council site team.
If you have any issues during the construction phase then please call 07557 744442.
Video simulations of the new road