The school is situated half a mile west of the village of Ardgay in a rural area. It is located in beautiful surroundings near the mouth of Strathcarron through which the River Carron flows. It is ideally situated for work of an environmental nature, with easy access to the river, woodland, moor and farmland, hills and seashore.
The school itself comprises a Victorian building (1875) to which was added an infant class and a kitchen. The school was refurbished in July & August 2001, and an extension built on to the north side. The original building is now a G.P. room and a canteen. The kitchen has been upgraded and what was the infant room has now been turned into a Nursery. This includes children's toilets and a disabled toilet. There is a fenced-off tarmac play area outside the Nursery.
The new extension consists of three classrooms, a resource room, medical room, children's cloakroom areas, children's, staff and disabled toilets, staff room, school office and children's entrance hall-way.
The front of the school is now a car park. To the west end is a newly laid tarmac play area. There are grassy areas to the north and east of the school. Opposite the school is a playing field. It is hoped that money can be raised to drain and improve the playing surface for the children.
Fund-raising by the PTA is improving and enhancing the school grounds. A willow structure has been embedded and an adventure trail constructed. A wild life garden with a pond, a Nursery play area and a children’s garden will also be put in place.