Benefits - Council Tax discounts
A full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home.
You’ll get 25 per cent off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and live on your own.
You’ll also get a discount if you live with people who don’t count as adults for Council Tax.
These people are not counted as adults for Council Tax:
- Children under 18
- People on apprentice schemes
- 18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education
- Full-time college and university students
- Young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
- Student nurses
- People with a severe mental disability
- Live-in carers who look after someone who isn’t their partner, spouse or child
You may pay less Council Tax for a property you own or rent that’s not your main home. Some property is exempt from council tax altogether.