Apply for a licence - Pet shop
According to the law, pet shop licenses can only run for a calendar year. If you apply to start operating before the end of the current year your licence will expire on 31 December this year and you will not be eligible for any refund on your application fee. The fees cover administration costs which are the same regardless of how long the licence runs for. Renewal reminders are sent out around October.
To apply, you will need:
You will need:
Credit or debit card
- Details of current licence
You cannot apply for a licence if you have been disqualified from any of the following:
- Keeping an animal boarding establishment
- Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
- Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006
We check with the police and fire and rescue service before determining your application and a veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner will carry out an inspection of the premises where animals will live.
If you are not granted a licence, we can give you a statement of the reasons for our decision. You have a right of appeal to the Sheriff Court.
- Phone: 01349 886609
- Online enquiry form