Apply for a licence - Fireworks and other pyrotechnics
Fireworks and other pyrotechnics cannot be supplied to a person younger than the following minimum age limits
- Christmas cracker, 12 years
- Category F1 firework other than a Christmas cracker, 16 years
- Category F2 firework or a category F3 firework, 18 years
- Category T1 theatrical pyrotechnic article, 18 years
- Category P1 other pyrotechnic article, 18 years
The sale and supply of fireworks other than Category F1 fireworks (e.g. cap, cracker snap, novelty match, party popper, serpent, sparkler or throwdown is normally restricted to four specified sales periods, which are currently:
- On the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it
- On the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it
- During the period beginning on the 15 October and ending on the 10 November
- During the period beginning on the 26 December and ending on the 31 December
Sale outside these periods is only permitted if the seller is in possession of a specific licence from us to do so.
The fee for such a licence is currently £500 and any applicant should contact Trading Standards for details of how to apply.
Breach of any of these restrictions is an offence.
Trading StandardsThe Highland Council
38 Harbour Road