Low Income Home-Owners Assistance Scheme
Help with installing fire alarms is available for low income home-owners who:
- are older or
- have disabilities or
- have children with disabilities
This help is to meet new standards for interlinked fire alarms.
To access this help, you need to meet these criteria:
You must own (and live in) your home that has a Council Tax banding of A, B or C and you must either:
- be of state pension age and in receipt of guaranteed Pension Credit
- have a disability and be in a support group for Employment and Support Allowance.
- have a disability and receive the 'limited capability for work and work-related activity' (LCWRA) component of Universal Credit
- have a child with a disability and be receiving Child Disability Living Allowance or the Child Scottish Disability Payment
Do not apply if you do not meet the criteria or are not eligible. Your circumstances will be checked before the works goes ahead.
We take fraud seriously. Applications using false information will be investigated.
If you meet these criteria, you can apply for this scheme online.
Funding is limited. Applying for help does not guarantee that you will get help. You will be told as soon as possible if your application has been unsuccessful.
We may not be able to help everyone who meets our criteria. As we anticipate high demand, our highest priority is to help people who are in the greatest need.
These services are funded by:
- The Scottish Government through Care and Repair Services (older and disabled home-owners)
- The Highland Council through its Scheme of Assistance (disabled families)
If you are successful, an installer will contact you to confirm your circumstances and arrange a visit.
You may need to wait some time to hear from an installer.
The installer will be someone from one of the following Care and Repair services:
- Lochalsh and Skye Housing Association
- ILM Highland
- Lochaber Care and Repair
They will arrange installations in their own areas as well as in Caithness, Inverness, Badenoch and Strathspey.