Housing Benefit for private tenants

Who is eligible

You are not entitled to a Local Housing Allowance if:

  • You are a council or housing association tenant
  • You have a tenancy that started before 1989
  • You live in a caravan, hostel or houseboat
  • You live in board and lodgings
  • You live somewhere where your landlord provides care, support or supervision

However, if you fall into any of the above categories you may still claim Housing Benefit.

How is this webpage?