Information on the UK's exit from the European Union (Brexit) and how it may affect people and businesses in Scotland:
- Highland and Islands - Preparing for Brexit
- UK Government - Preparing for Brexit
- EU and EEA citizens in Scotland
- Help for Food & Drink Sector
- Marine and fisheries Information about exiting the European Union
- Fish exports
- List of Customs Agents
- Institute of Exporters & International Trade
- Chambers of Commerce
- Customs Grant Scheme
- New immigration system
- UK points based immigration system: employers and EU citizens
We are working to identify the potential risks to the area and mitigate against these.
Much of our work has been done by our staff but, we are also working with partners through the Highlands and Islands European Partnership
How is the Council preparing for Brexit
The Council has been preparing for Brexit in the following ways:
- We will continue our business continuity plans to take account of any potential impact Brexit may have, to ensure the continuity of essential services.
- We will continue to work with our multi-agency Resilience Partners at local, regional and national levels to monitor the changing situation and assess any risks and plan mitigation.
- We are working closely with the Highland Council Recovery Board and the Brexit Working Group.
The Highland Council is a Category One Responder under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 which places certain obligations upon it in partnership with other organisations. The Highland Council also has a number of statutory duties and these can be found at:
- The Highland Council Statutory Obligations
- Further information on Emergency Planning can be found here
Reports presented at council meetings
- Potential effects of the decision to leave
- European Engagement and Funding
- European Engagement including a further update - potential impacts
- 6 September 2018 Regional and rural development policies post Brexit
- 5 September 2019 Preparedness for EU Exit – Report to Council
- Reports to Places Committee -16 August 2017
- Reports to Environment, Development and Infrastructure -1 February 2018
- Reports to Environment, Development and Infrastructure - 16 August 2018