Agendas, reports and minutes

Ward Forum - Eilean a' Cheò

Date: Monday, 10 June 2013

Action Note: 2013 - 10 June 2013

Eilean a’ Cheo (Ward 11) – Forum Meeting  

Tigh na Sgire Portree  - 10th June 2013 Tigh na Sigre Portree



Councillor Hamish Fraser
Councillor Ian Renwick
Councillor John Laing
Councillor Drew Millar
David Hearn, Portree Community Council
Jess Donaldson, Minginish Community Council;
Neil Stephenson, Skeabost Community Council;
Hector MacLeod, Sconser Community Council;
Gordon MacKay, Waternish Community Council;
Peter Martin, Uig Community Council;
Donald Budge, Dunvegan Community Council;
Alistair Morrison, Struan Community Council;
Rob Wear, Sleat Community Council;
Margaret McVicar, Raasay Community Council.


In Attendance: 

Sergeant Fiona Saxton,
Kate Earnshaw, NHS;
Tim Stott, Principal Planner,
Mark Harvey, P&D;
Mark Crowe, TEC’s;
Norma Young, ECS;
Liz Cowie, Ward Manager;
Fay MacRae, Business Support;
Dot Ferguson, Senior Ward Manager;
Judith Wallace, Sconser Community Council;
Elaine Robertson, Waternish Community Council


Inspector Mairi MacInnes
Listed below is the action required and the outcomes resulting from discussion at the Eilean a’ Cheò Ward Forum held on 10th June 2013  at Tigh na Sgire Portree.


1 Welcome and Introduction

Councillor Millar welcomed everyone to the Ward Forum Meeting and introduced Councillors and speakers.

2 Action Note & Matters Arising

The action note from the meeting of 29th October 2012 was noted and approved.


3  Update from Police Scotland,Sergeant Fiona Saxton,

• Presentation overview given on Police Scotland and local Policing.
• Residents asked to be extra vigilant as there has been a spate of thefts in the area. The message is ‘lock it or lose it’.
• Police will be stopping vehicles that are from outwith the area (using number plate recognition) on the road late at night as part of a safe driving initiative.
• The new Traffic Warden has started in post.
• Summer drink drive campaign - 4 drunk drivers caught within the last week.
• Increased checks on licenced premises.
• Safe Highlander event on 12th June in Portree for P7 pupils from Skye and Lochalsh.
• Blue light disco planned for November 2013.
• Cllr JG had received complaints from the public that there was been no reply from the local police station. FS will follow this up.


4 NHS update, Kate Earnshaw
• Service Redesign. Update on community engagement. NHS has met with nearly all the Community Councils, Access Panel and local groups. Community feedback is positive.
• Two independent consultants have been appointed, Aileen Walker and Rodger Tanner.
• Two stakeholder workshops are planned for July and August 2013. Information will be circulated via the Free Press, SCVO, press releases, Doctor’s surgeries etc.
• KE agreed to chase up the statistics that had been requested at the Patient Participation Forum by Portree community council and to have them for the next PPF.
• Old nurses house in Staffin. Not DDA compliant. A ramp would take up most of the car park, external lift a possibility, options & costs need to be explored. KE will meet with Staffin CC in August to discuss.
• Long waiting list for dental treatment – advised contacting the dental services and asking where they are on the list. KE will send on contact details for circulation.


5 Planning and Development Tim Stott, Principal Planner
Mark Harvey, Team Leader

• TS took the Forum through the attached presentation giving a comprehensive overview of Development Planning.  Questions and discussion then followed.  TS provided contact details and advised that he was happy to liaise direct with Community Councils on specific issues. 
• MH then took the floor to give an overview of local planning.  The Planning office is now fully staffed which will enable the staff to respond more quickly to complaints and enquiries, and to follow up on enforcement.
• House build applications have stayed steady over the last few years with approximately 350 per year across the area covered.
• Wind farm proposal for Glenulinish and Tidal Array Scheme at Kylerhea are both being dealt with by Planning staff at HC headquarters.
• Developers tend to go for planning permission first and then think about connecting to the grid afterwards as this is easier.
• MH would like to work with Community Councils on the consultation process as sometimes the CC do not have time to respond. The timescale is short which can hamper a Community Council’s ability to notify Planning of the CC view.  MH is happy even if he receives a phone call from the CC so that concerns or comments can be noted in time.  A written response can then follow.  MH to liaise direct with CC’s.
• MH agreed to follow up on an objection from Dunvegan CC regarding a fish farm application that was dealt with in Inverness and did not go to committee even although the CC objected.


6 TEC’s Mark Crowe, Community Works Manager

• Currently undertaking surfacing and surface dressing programme.
• Roads are being prioritised by safety & road inspections.
• Continuing to carry out planned works on bridges and cattle grids, S&L has 240 cattle grids costing £3,500 each.
• Grass cutting & signage is being prioritised by safety.
• Budget has remained static for the last few years.  Cost of fuel and materials have both escalated which has impacted on the volume of work that can be carried out.
• TEC’s aware of the poor road conditions in the Ward but are unable to carry out all works required. Works continue to be prioritised and addressed when resources allow.
• Sleat CC thanked Sandy MacVarish for all his help with the Totaig cattle grid. Noted.
• Raasay signage damage re Scottish Water. MC advised that this should be resolved by the end of the week.
• Signage Dunvegan. MC agreed to speak to Donald Budge after the meeting.
• Cllr HF raised his concerns that the consultation process for road closures for the proposed trunk road works with the Community Councils was handled badly, and that phoning individual members so late in the day was unacceptable.  The road closure timings appeared to be to allow tar to come from Banavie quarry in Fort William (which has restrictions).This had been queried by Members as it was felt that Sconser Quarry could provide materials. The original proposal was to close the road from 7pm till 6am.
• Cllr HF stated that there are far more important stretches of road that should be repaired but these do not seem to be getting prioritised. Members continue to raise the issues with Transport Scotland.


7 ECS Norma Young, Area Education Manager West,

• NY gave an overview of her role and remit.  NY covers the West area (including Fort William) which has nine associated school groups with the following rolls:
• 649 children in nursery
• 2,903 in Primary School
• 2,605 in secondary school
• Skye has capacity for 1,000 pupils but currently has 600 - operating at 60%
• An Independent company Caledonian Economics are putting together reports on all the schools eg, staffing, rolls, building condition. This report is due to be completed by August 2013. Further information on this will be forthcoming.


8 Public Questions

Public Questions were raised by both Frances MacLean and Tim Spencer regarding Edinbane nursery provision. NY agreed to meet with the parties concerned after the Ward Forum to arrange a date to discuss their concerns. NY had been due to attend a meeting that evening but unfortunately could not now be there.



Cllr DM thanked Liz Cowie, Ward Manager, for all her support shown to the Community Councils and Members during her time on Skye. Recruitment is underway with the aim to have the post filled by August/September 2013. 


Date of next meeting

Monday 2nd september 2013 2pm Tigh na Sgire, Portree