Agendas, reports and minutes
Date: Thursday, 14 December 2017
Minutes: Read the Minutes (Items 17-19)
17. Talent Attraction, Retention and Returns
Aithisg Taladh Talaint
There had been circulated Report No. HC/52/17 dated 4 December 2017 by the Depute Chief Executive/Director of Corporate Resources.
During discussion, Members raised the following issues:-
- congratulations should be conveyed to Officers for the work undertaken on this report at short notice and to Councillor K Currie for raising the issue at a recent meeting;
- the loss of young people from the Highland area was a major issue and as such the strategic approach to workforce planning which had been highlighted in the report was welcomed, not least in relation to the collation of data which would aid forward planning;
- it was imperative that good quality opportunities were made available to young people to encourage them to remain in the area as statistics proved that at present the percentage of people aged between 18-34 who were living and working in the Highlands was significantly below the national average;
- the emphasis on the Community Planning Partnership was also welcomed as all stakeholders in the Highlands had a role to play in the retention of young people;
- regular communication had to be maintained with UHI in this regard and it was suggested that regular updates/presentations to the Council might be helpful in future; and
- in addition to the focus on the retention of young people, a clear message should also be conveyed to EU nationals who were currently living and working in the area in order to make them aware that they were both valued and welcomed in the Highlands.
The Council NOTED:-
(i) the workforce sustainability challenges facing the Council;
(ii) the importance of collaboration with partners to develop a Talent Attraction, Retention and Returns Strategy and Action Plan; and
(iii) the requirement to prepare for the workforce challenges presented by Brexit.
18. Scheme of Delegation and Administration to Strategic Committees and Sub Committees and to Officers
Raòn Ùghdarrais agus Rianachd gu Comataidhean Ro-innleachdail agus Fo-chomataidhean agus gu Oifigearan
The Council AGREED inclusion of the following wording within Part IV - Powers Delegated to Officers – Chief Executive’s Office - Corporate Governance – Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 – Part 5:-
‘Section 144 – to revoke a rent suspension order (i) if an HMO (house in multiple occupation) licence has subsequently been granted to the owner of the living accommodation concerned, or (ii) if satisfied, on the application of any person, that the living accommodation concerned is no longer an HMO, or (iii) in the case of a rent suspension order made in respect of breach of an HMO licence condition, if satisfied that the condition is no longer being breached or that the living accommodation concerning is no longer an HMO’ – delegated to the Head of Corporate Governance and Principal Solicitor (Regulatory Services).
19. Deeds Executed
Sgrìobhainnean Lagha a Bhuilicheadh
It was NOTED that a list of deeds and other documents executed on behalf of the Council since the meeting held on 26 October 2017 was available in the Members’ Library and on the Council’s Website.
The meeting ended at 4.55pm.
- Full Agenda and Reports Report, 8.09 MB
- Volume of Minutes Report, 1.03 MB
- Item 5 Valuation Joint Board Minutes - 22 September 2017 Report, 33.42 KB
- Item 6 Community Planning Board Minutes - 28 June 2017 Report, 65.05 KB
- Item 7 Recruitment Panel - Depute Chief Executive Minutes - 1 November 2017 Report, 13.68 KB
- Item 9i Question Time - Mr C Smith Report, 35.04 KB
- Item 9ii Question Time - Mr G Cruickshank Report, 33.81 KB
- Item 9iii Question Time - Mrs I MacKenzie Report, 26.95 KB
- Item 9iv Question Time - Mr S Mackie Report, 32.08 KB
- Item 9v Question Time - Mr M Smith Report, 27.34 KB
- Item 9vi Question Time - Mr K Currie Report, 26.09 KB
- Item 9vii Question Time - Mrs G Campbell-Sinclair Report, 36.44 KB
- Item 9viii Question Time - Mr R MacWilliam Report, 35.46 KB
- Item 11 Local Fire & Rescue Plan for Highland Report, 864.95 KB
- Item 12 Budget Update Report, 4.36 MB
- Item 13 Redesign of Highland Council – Progress Report Report, 31.3 KB
- Item 14 Corporate Plan 2017-22 Report, 338.73 KB
- Item 15 Proposals for Changes to the Governance of Education Report, 115.19 KB
- Item 16 Tourism Development Report, 128.29 KB
- Item 17 Talent Attraction, Retention and Returns Report, 1.12 MB
- Item 17 Talent Attraction Appendix 1 Report, 912.48 KB
- Item 19 Deeds Executed Report, 41.78 KB