Agendas, reports and minutes
Date: Thursday, 5 September 2019
Minutes: Read the Minutes
Minutes of Special Meeting of the Highland Council held in the Council Chamber, Council Headquarters, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness on Thursday, 5 September 2019 at 10.00am.
1. Calling of the Roll and Apologies for Absence
A’ Gairm a’ Chlàir agus Leisgeulan
Mr G Adam, Mr R Balfour, Mrs J Barclay, Mr A Baxter, Mr B Boyd, Mr R Bremner (v/c), Mr I Brown, Mr J Bruce, Mrs C Caddick, Mrs I Campbell, Mrs G Campbell-Sinclair, Mrs H Carmichael, Mr A Christie, Mr I Cockburn, Mrs M Cockburn (v/c), Mr G Cruickshank, Ms K Currie, Mrs M Davidson, Mr J Finlayson, Mr M Finlayson, Mr C Fraser, Mr L Fraser, Mr R Gale (v/c), Mr A Graham, Mr J Gray, Mrs P Hadley, Mr T Heggie, Mr A Henderson, Mr A Jarvie, Ms E Knox, Mr R Laird, Mr B Lobban, Mr D Louden, Mrs L MacDonald, Mr R MacDonald (v/c), Mr A MacInnes, Mrs D Mackay, Mr D Mackay, Mr W MacKay, Mr G MacKenzie, Mrs I MacKenzie, Mr S Mackie, Mr A Mackinnon, Ms A MacLean, Mr C MacLeod, Mr D MacLeod, Mr D Macpherson, Mr R MacWilliam, Mrs B McAllister, Mr J McGillivray (v/c), Mr N McLean (v/c), Mr H Morrison, Ms L Munro, Mrs P Munro, Mrs M Paterson, Mr M Reiss, Mr A Rhind, Mr D Rixson, Mrs F Robertson, Mrs T Robertson, Mr K Rosie, Mr G Ross, Mr P Saggers, Mr A Sinclair, Ms N Sinclair (v/c), Mr C Smith, Ms M Smith, Mr B Thompson
Director of Development & Infrastructure
Executive Chief Officer, Resources & Finance
Executive Chief Officer, Performance and Governance
Executive Chief Officer, Customer and Communities
Mr B Lobban in the Chair
Apologies for absence were intimated on behalf of Mr B Allan, Miss J Campbell, Mr J Gordon, Mr K Gowans, Mr I Ramon and Mrs C Wilson.
2. Declarations of Interest
There were no declarations of interest at the meeting.
3. Review of the Highland Scheme of Establishment for Community Councils 2018/19
There had been circulated Report No. HC/36/19 dated 28 August 2019 by the Acting Head of Policy which confirmed that the Council had agreed to review the Scheme of Establishment for Community Councils in January 2019 and the first phase of consultation had been undertaken between March and May 2019.
The findings of that first phase had been considered at a Council meeting in June 2019 at which time approval had been given for a further and final phase of consultation incorporating the changes received during the first phase.
As such, the report now set out the feedback received during the second phase of consultation, including any changes proposed as a result, and recommended approval of the new Scheme which had been set out in Appendix 1 to the report.
During discussion, Members raised the following issues:-
- thanks should be conveyed to the Officers for the work which had been undertaken and for the report which had been submitted;
- it had to be highlighted that this report represented the views and recommendations of Community Councils and not the Council;
- a Conference had been held for Community Councils in order to hear their views on various issues and it was planned for this to be repeated in future;
- regular dialogue was essential with Community Councils in order to benefit local communities;
- this had been a very difficult process but had been handled well by Council Officers;
- in relation to the proposed wording within the Control of Finance section of the new Scheme, it was suggested that the wording in Paragraph 14.1c should be amended as follows (in italics) – ‘The Treasurer shall also provide a written financial statement, including evidence of the current balance, to each Community Council meeting’;
- also in relation to the Control of Finance section, and with specific reference to the submission of a financial report to Annual General Meetings, it was suggested that the name and address of Auditors should be supplied in each case; and
- there was a need for continuous review of the new Scheme to ensure that it was operating effectively for all and as such it was suggested that a further review should be undertaken within the following year in conjunction with all Community Councils.
Thereafter, Mr A Christie, seconded by Mr A Graham, MOVED the recommendation within the report for approval of the new Scheme as detailed in Appendix 1.
As an AMENDMENT, Mr P Saggers, seconded by Mr L Fraser, moved that the proposed wording within Paragraph 14.1c of the new Scheme should be amended to read as follows – ‘The Treasurer shall also provide a written financial statement, including evidence of the current balance, to each Community Council meeting’.
On a vote being taken, the MOTION received 44 votes and the AMENDMENT received 16 votes, with 4 abstentions, and the MOTION was therefore CARRIED, the votes having been cast as follows:-
For the Motion:
Mr R MacWilliam, Ms K Currie, Mr R Laird, Mr C MacLeod, Ms P Hadley, Mr A Baxter, Mr R Balfour, Mrs M Paterson, Mr G Ross, Mrs D MacKay, Mrs B McAllister, Mr I Brown, Mr C Fraser, Ms E Knox, Mr D Louden, Mr A MacInnes, Mr D Macpherson, Mr B Thompson, Mr A Rhind, Mr J Finlayson, Mr M Finlayson, Mrs A MacLean, Mrs T Robertson, Mrs C Caddick, Mr B Boyd, Mr K Rosie, Mr H Morrison, Mr M Reiss, Mrs F Robertson, Mrs I Campbell, Mr D Rixson, Mr A Graham, Mr B Lobban, Ms M Smith, Dr I Cockburn, Mrs H Carmichael, Mrs M Davidson, Mr A MacKinnon, Mr A Henderson, Mr A Christie, Mr J Gray, Mr W MacKay, Ms N Sinclair and Mr R MacDonald.
For the Amendment:
Mr L Fraser, Mr A Sinclair, Mr S Mackie, Mr C Smith, Mrs L MacDonald, Mr T Heggie, Mr D MacLeod, Mr J Bruce, Mr D MacKay, Mr G Cruickshank, Mr G MacKenzie, Mr A Jarvie, Mrs I MacKenzie, Mr P Saggers, Mrs M Cockburn and Mr R Bremner.
Mrs J Barclay, Mr N McLean, Mr R Gale and Mr J McGillivray.
The Council NOTED the feedback received during the Phase 2 consultation as part of the review of the Community Council Scheme.
The Council also AGREED the new Scheme of Establishment for Community Councils in Highland as set out in Appendix 1 of the report.
The meeting ended at 10.20am.