Agendas, reports and minutes

Highland Council

Date: Thursday, 29 June 2023

Agenda: Read the Agenda

A meeting of the Highland Council will be held in the Council Chamber, Council Headquarters, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness on Thursday 29 June 2023 at 10.35am.

Webcast Notice: This meeting will be filmed and broadcast over the Internet on the Highland Council website and will be archived and available for viewing for 12 months thereafter.

You are invited to attend the meeting and a note of the business to be considered is attached.

Yours faithfully

Stewart Fraser 
Head of Legal and Governance


1. Calling of the Roll and Apologies for Absence
Gairm a’ Chlàir agus Leisgeulan

2. Declarations of Interest/Transparency Statement
Foillseachaidhean Com-pàirt/Aithris Fhollaiseachd

Members are asked to consider whether they have an interest to declare in relation to any item on the agenda for this meeting.  Any Member making a declaration of interest should provide some information on the nature of the interest and leave the meeting at the appropriate time.  Advice may be sought from officers prior to the meeting taking place.

3. Confirmation of Minutes  
Daingneachadh a’ Gheàrr-chunntais

There are submitted for confirmation as a correct record the Minutes of Meeting of the Council held on 11 May 2023 as contained in the Volume which has been circulated separately.

4. Minutes of Meetings of Committees
Geàrr-chunntasan Choinneamhan Chomataidhean

There are submitted for confirmation as correct records, for information as regards delegated business and for approval as appropriate, the Minutes of Meetings of Committees contained in Volume circulated separately as undernoted:-

Nairnshire Committee-15 May 2023
Sutherland County Committee-16 May 2023    
Lochaber Area Committee-16 May 2023    
Climate Change Committee-17 May 2023
Health, Social Care and Wellbeing Committee-18 May 2023    
Easter Ross Area Committee-22 May 2023
Isle of Skye and Raasay Committee-22 May 2023
Dingwall and Seaforth Area Committee-22 May 2023
Communities and Place Committee-24 May 2023
Badenoch and Strathspey Committee-29 May 2023
Caithness Committee-29 May 2023    

Notice of Amendment – Thurso High School Update
Brath Atharrachaidh – Cunntas às Ùr mu Àrd-Sgoil Inbhir Theòrsa

With reference to the Minutes of the Meeting of the Caithness Committee held on 29 May, the following Notice of Amendment had been received in accordance with Standing Order 13 – 

“On Monday 29th May, at the Caithness Area Committee, Members were asked to agree Option 1 of supplementary agenda item 4 as the recommended and preferred option for Thurso High School in that, following the discovery of significant structural defects to Block A, it should be demolished and for the site and adjoining blocks to be made good at a cost of £1.2m.

A motion was brought to the Committee to agree to option 4 for the demolition and replacement of the block at a cost of £7.5m.

This notice of amendment requests Council to consider the immediate implementation of Option 1; also to refer further considerations for the site of block A and the rest of the Thurso High School campus to the agreed review of the Council’s capital programme”.

Signed: Mr R Bremner    Mr G MacKenzie    Mr D Louden    Mr K Rosie    Mr J Finlayson    Mr D Millar     Mr W MacKay    Mrs M Paterson

In this connection, there is re-circulated (pp.1-3) Report No. CC/13/23 dated 26 May 2023 by the Executive Chief Officer Housing and Property.

Gaelic Committee-31 May 2023
Comataidh na Gàidhlig-31 May 2023

*Starred Item 4 – Draft Gaelic Language Plan 4– agreed to recommend to the full Council that it homologate the submission of the draft Plan to Bord na Gàidhlig

Education Committee-1 June 2023    
City of Inverness Area Committee-5 June 2023    
Corporate Resources Committee-8 June 2023    
Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh-12 June 2023    
Audit and Scrutiny Committee-15 June 2023
Isle of Skye and Raasay Committee (Special Meeting)-26 June 2023 to follow

Minutes of Meetings not included in the Volume are as follows:-         

i.   Investment Sub Committee – for noting – held on 16 March 2023 (approved by the Sub Committee on 22 June 2023) (to follow);
ii.  Highland and Western Isles Valuation Joint Board – for noting – held on 21 March 2023 (approved by the Board on 22 June 2023) (to follow);
iii. Chief Executive Recruitment Panel – for noting – held on 20 April, 1 June ,15 June and 21 June 2023 (to follow) - for approval; and
iv.  Redesign Board – for approval – held on 31 May 2023.

Item 5 (Question Time) will be considered at 2pm and Item 6 (Notices of Motion) will be considered at the end of the agenda    
5. Question Time
Àm Ceiste

The following Questions have been received by the Head of Legal and Governance.  There will follow a copy of a response for each question.

With the exception of the Public Questions, one supplementary question will be allowed in each case which will be answered by the recipient of the original question.

Public Questions
Ceistean Poblach

(1) Ms J Bisset   

To the Leader of the Council

Following the lack of any acknowledgement from The Highland Council to recent correspondence raising serious concerns around numerous significant and longstanding defects in Fortrose Academy buildings, I would like to ask if I should interpret this silence as recognition that The Highland Council places little value on the safety and wellbeing of the Fortrose School population and is incapable of delivering an appropriate action plan to address valid concerns?
(2) Ms R Wright

To the Chair of Education

I am proud of being a Fortrose Academy pupil but it doesn't seem fair that most other Secondary Schools have much better facilities. How will the Highland Council rectify this? 
Member Questions
Ceistean Bhall

(1) Mr A Christie

To the Leader of the Council

Please could the Leader inform me of all vacant positions within the Council establishment by service directorate preferably in a tabular format including the date the position became vacant.

(2) Mr A Christie

To the Leader of the Council

With the exception of staff based at schools and depots, please could the leader detail by department within each of the service directorates (e.g. Housing Development, Planning Environment & Building Standards, Housing Supervision and Management, Homelessness, Adult Services, Looked After Children, Family Teams etc ) the percentage calculation for staff which will show the proportion of time worked from home contrasted to the time worked from an office?

(3) Mr A Graham

To the Leader of the Council

Facilities Management Service for schools: please provide number of staff employed by the Council (Full Time Equivalent) and number (FTE) provided by staff agencies and contractors, at 31 March 2023 or a more recent date if available.

(4) Mr M Baird

To the Chair of Economy and Infrastructure

What is the timetable for rolling out the Scottish Governments 20 MPH speed limits in Highland towns and villages?

(5) Mrs T Robertson

To the Leader of the Council

The 2023 School role forecast published in February shows significant pressure on capacity in Croy Primary School. The pressure continues to increase throughout the period quoted.  The Croy school site has limited space for expansion. When can we expect work to begin on the design of the new school which will should give an indication of a completion date?

(6) Mr D Gregg

To the Chair of Economy and Infrastructure

Residents in the Crown area have been asking to hold a play street later this year to make it easier for their children to play outside on the road. They have been told they need to pay hundreds of pounds for professional traffic management scheme, which is both unaffordable for my residents and massively out of proportion with what other councils around the UK charge for these schemes.

Will the council introduce a process to allow residents to apply for play streets without such onerous requirements, as has successfully been done in Edinburgh and Glasgow?
(7) Mr C Ballance

To the Leader of the Council

In the wake of the devastating recent wildfires, and the continuing dangers, will the Council take immediate and urgent steps to work with the tourism industry, police and fire services to instigate a campaign of public education about the dangers of lighting fires, using all communication resources available, such as social media, posters, and signs throughout the Highlands, particularly at tourist accommodation and attractions?

(8) Mr R MacKintosh

To the Leader of the Council

Back in September 2022 Council passed a motion agreeing to set up a stakeholder group to review the creative and cultural importance of music and creative arts in all of the Highlands. Can you tell me how many meetings this group has had and when we should expect the result of its findings?

(9) Mr A Baldrey  

To the Chair of Communities and Place

It is generally agreed that Community Food Growing is a positive activity, not only for the food value itself; the support for people on low incomes; the contribution  to community wealth building; and the reduction in “food miles”, but also from the mental health aspect of a communal and outdoor activity that it brings, and provide food for families on low incomes. 

Will your Administration continue to fund the Community Food Officer post after this year and bring a report to Council on their work and successes, and the steps the Council is taking to embed this work across the Council.

(10) Ms K Willis

To the Chair of Economy and Infrastructure

Is the Council planning to make significant bids to the £58m ScotZEB Phase 2, and the expected extra £45m in the Community Bus Fund in order to work towards building a Council owned pan-Highland wide fleet of different-sized electric buses so as to provide a public service on as many of the routes currently tendered out as is practical.

(11) Mrs H Crawford

To the Chair of Property and Housing

Parents, carers, teachers and children grapple daily with the reality that the Beauly Primary School building is crumbling, a situation that is replicated across many schools in Highland.

If the application for LEIP funding fails, what is Plan B?

(12) Mrs L Saggers

To the Chair of the Economy and Infrastructure Committee

What legal advice has THC sought with respect to its Short Term Let licensing policy and procedures to ensure that the said policy and procedures are robust and lawful, in light of the recent judgement of the Court of Session regarding the City of Edinburgh’s policy on short term lets?

(13) Mr P Logue

To the Chair of Economy and Infrastructure 

To ask the Chair of the Economy and Infrastructure Committee to outline the number of charging sessions conducted on Highland Council's public EV charger network and the energy consumed in kWh (broken down by destination and journey chargers) from the period 1 March 2023 to current, compared to the same period in 2022.

(14)    Mr A Jarvie

To the Chair of Corporate Resources

In each of the last 5 years, how many of the quarterly year end out-turn projections have been within £1m of the realised outcome?

(15)    Mr R Stewart

To the Chair of the Housing and Property

Given potential cost increases to the Broadford and Nairn Primary Schools, which received LEIP funding in December 2020 can the Member confirm that the Highland Council is still committed and on track to deliver these vital projects by the December 2025 deadline in order to drawdown the revenue funding committed by the Scottish Government in the second phase of the Learning Estate Investment Programme?    
6. Notices of Motion 
Brathan Gluasaid

The following Notices of Motion have been received by the Head of Legal and Governance – 
(i) (Carried over from Council on 11 May 2023)    
It is well known that voluntary, charitable and youth organisations are struggling with the reduction in funding that they are all experiencing, and this is made significantly more difficult with the level of letting fees for council premises that are being levied on such organisations.

Many of these organisations make a significant contribution to the mental welfare of our young people and this is particularly important in the wake of the Covid pandemic.

In addition, other such organisations provide vital childcare and after school clubs and activities for the children of working parents. 

The level of letting fees is threatening the very existence of such organisations and if they have to close and withdraw their services the knock-on effect for children’s mental health and the ability for working parents to continue to work is considerable, with the added impact on the local economies that will ensue.

That being the case this Council will review the letting charges for all such organisations and introduce a reduction in letting fees of 50% for all charitable and voluntary organisations.

By doing this we will ensure that the invaluable services that they provide across Highland will continue to the benefit of all communities. 

Signed:  Mr R Gale      Mr J McGillivray       Mr A Graham     Ms J McEwan

In this connection, there is re-circulated (pp.15-19) Report No. RES/14/23 dated 30 May 2023 by the Head of Finance.    
(ii) (Carried over from Council on 11 May 2023)

The positive impact of the NC500 around the Highlands has been manyfold, however, with the positive impact on the economy of the Highlands comes the negative impact on services and amenities across the area.
Last year the Council waste collection services innovatively introduced a flexible and additional bin collection scheme which made a significant difference to the levels of waste that was abandoned in some of the most scenic parts of the Highlands.

Local communities have commented on what a positive difference this initiative made around the NC500 route.

That being the case this Council will put a similar project in place for the coming season to ensure that we make the NC500 route memorable for all the right reasons for the traveling visitors. In addition, this will also be welcomed by the local communities along the route who do not want to be faced with uncontrolled waste abandoned indiscriminately by the roadside.

Signed:   Mr R Gale    Mr M Baird       Mrs McEwan       Mrs A MacLean 

In this connection, there is re-circulated (pp.20-23) Report No. RES/15/23 dated 30 May 2023 by the Head of Finance.    
(iii) The current policy on access with trailers to recycling centres is causing confusion, inconvenience and additional un-necessary cost to householders.  For example, old bricks, broken slabs and rockery stones (aka rubble) are acceptable in a car but not by trailer or van.

We therefore ask that the Council conducts a review of the Entry Guidance, Recycling Centres (HWRC) Conditions of Entry for trailers and vans, with a view to making the centres more accessible to householders disposing of non-commercial waste on their own behalf, and thereafter trial the revised guidance for a three-month period.

Signed:     Mr A Graham    Mr A Christie    Mr M Baird    Mr J Grafton    Mr R Gunn    Mrs T Robertson    Mr R Gale    
(iv) No Mow May

To encourage biodiversity and address the nature emergency, and to save the Council’s limited financial and staff resources, this Council agrees to support Plantlife’s “No Mow May” campaign by publicising it and by not cutting verges and other green spaces until later in the year, except where it is necessary for public and road user safety.

Signed:      Ms K Willis    Mr A Baldrey     
(v) Highland Council negotiation with renewable energy companies

The use of our natural resources for the generation of power is vital to the whole of the United Kingdom economy. The combined income from all renewable energy schemes in the Highlands continues to grow year on year and will only accelerate with the numerous wind, hydro and solar plants projected to come on line. 

Despite this whilst some individual communities have benefitted to some extent from these developments there has been no fiscal, strategic benefit to the Council area as a whole despite the massive profits being generated.

Highland Council will begin negotiations with all renewable energy producers in order to provide a fair financial settlement which will be invested in facilities and infrastructure Highland wide and which will make a real difference to the lives of all of the people of the Highlands. 

Signed:  Mr R Jones    Mr M Green    Mr B Lobban         
(vi) We, the undersigned, ask that Highland Council investigates the idea of placing High Fire Risk signs in locations at risk, similar to other countries in National Park type areas. 

These signs would operate in a similar fashion to the existing ice warning signs that are in position, being covered up out of the high-risk season. 
Secondly, to investigate whether the existing NADICS signs on trunk routes could be utilised in a similar fashion.

This suggestion is made recognising the increase in dry Spring weather and the massive hill fire that previously occurred on the Caithness and Sutherland Border and, this year, the fire near Cannich.

Signed:     Mr M Reiss     Mr A Christie    Mrs H Crawford    Ms J McEwan         
(vii) Council notes official Scottish Water figures showing that sewage was dumped at least 952 times in Highland.

Understands that across Scotland only 4% of sewage overflow points are monitored (144 out of 3,614), compared to around 90% in England, so the actual figure will be much worse!

Council believes that the local environment and everyone who uses our rivers and beaches deserve the highest possible protection;

Notes calls from campaigners for every sewage dump to be properly recorded and published, the introduction of legally binding targets for reducing these overflows, the upgrading of Scotland’s ageing sewage system, an end to dumping around Scotland’s best beaches and a faster process for the protection of bathing waters.

Council requests that the Council leader contacts both Scottish Water and the Scottish Government to endorse these calls, set out the council’s concern and to request an urgent update on the situation in Highland.

Signed:  Mrs T Robertson      Mr D Gregg       Mr A Graham     Mr M Baird   Mr J Grafton    Ms J McEwan    Mr R Gunn    Mr R Gale    Miss M MacCallum    Mr A MacDonald 

(viii) At the recent Community and Places meeting and following the presentation of the Highland Policing Plan, we were told that Northern Division, as a result of budget cuts, will be losing 9 officers from the Highlands and on top of that the overtime budget will be cut by 50% further reducing the availability of Police Officers across the region.

The steady reduction in Police numbers over a period of years since the introduction of Police Scotland has led to a serious lack of front-line Police Officers. For example, often we have been told that there are no officers on duty in large parts of the Highlands with officers sent long distances to cover emergency calls.

The recent “Highland Cops” programme on television highlighted the vast and unique geography of the Highland “Beat” and the challenges faced by officers to provide an effective Police service in the region.

When the new Chief Superintendent gave a presentation to the Council on his appointment, he made much of how the TV programme would help to recruit officers, however the reality is that rather than recruiting additional officers we are facing a reduction that will significantly impact the level of Police availability on the ground.

In addition due to the sheer size of the area and the ever reducing number of Police Officers communities are not getting equitable access to Police resources resulting in a significant risk as a result of response times, particularly in remote and rural locations. 

While it is noted that Police Officers do a tremendous job given the very limited resources on hand the Policing model for the Highlands is clearly not fit for purpose.

That being the case this council calls upon the Leader to write to the Justice Minister to insist that the proposed cuts to Police Numbers and overtime availability are cancelled and that a review of Policing numbers is carried out as a matter of urgency.   

Signed:     Mr R Gunn    Mrs T Robertson    Mr D Gregg    Mrs T Robertson    Mr M Baird    Mrs A MacLean   Mrs J McEwan    
(ix) Action towards Net Zero

If the Net Zero strategy is to succeed, and we are to meet our legal commitments, it is essential that the Net Zero Strategy is central to all decision-making in the Council.

To achieve this, this Council therefore agrees that the Chair of the Climate Change Committee, or if not available their depute, attend meetings of the Senior Leadership Group and the forthcoming Budget Review Group, to promote the Net Zero Strategy in all political decision-making and to ensure the action required to meet our Net Zero targets is embedded across all Council activities.

Signed:      Mr C Ballance    Mr R MacKintosh    
(x) Allotments

We note that the Council is currently reviewing its allotments policy. 

To further progress the aims of The Highland Council’s food growing strategy for the Highlands, Highland Council therefore asks council officers to include in this review a list of existing and potential sites for council-owned and managed allotments sites throughout the Highlands, designed to encourage and enable new allotments.  The proposals should also include draft plans to invite and support registrations of interest from interested individuals and groups. 

Signed:      Mr R Mackintosh    Ms K Willis    
7. Membership of the Council
Ballrachd na Comhairle

The Council is advised that Mrs Sarah Rawlings has tendered her resignation as a Member of the Council with effect from 31 July 2023. In this regard, a By-Election for Ward 7 (Tain and Easter Ross) will be held on Thursday, 28 September 2023.    
8. Membership of Committees, etc
Ballrachd Chomataidhean, msaa

The Council is asked to:-

i. Inverness and Cromarty Firth Green Freeport Monitoring Group
Agree the membership as follows:-

Mrs H Crawford, Mr K Gowans, Mr M Green, Mr S Kennedy, Mr P Logue, Mr D Louden, Mr G MacKenzie, Mrs P Munro, Ms M Nolan, Mrs T Robertson.

ii. Armed Forces and Veterans Champion

Agree to appoint an Armed Forces and Veterans Champion.    

9. Annual accounts for the year to 31 March 2023, and Near-final revenue out turn for the year.
Cunntasan bliadhnail airson na bliadhna gu 31 Màrt 2023 agus aithisg fìor chosgais faisg air deireannach airson na bliadhna 

There is circulated Report No. HC/17/23 dated 14 June 2023 by the Head of Corporate Finance.

The Council is invited to:-

i.  receive the unaudited Annual Accounts for the Highland Council; Highland Charities Trust; Highland Charitable Trust; and the Highland Council Pension Fund for the year ended 31 March 2023 and note that these will be presented to the appointed auditor by the prescribed date of the 30 June 2023; and
ii. note the near final out-turn for the 2022/23 financial year, subject to audit, as set out in section 6 of the report.

10. Budget Update – Revenue and Capital
Cunntas às Ùr mu Bhuidseat – Teachd-a-steach agus Calpa

There is circulated Report No. HC/18/23 dated 15 June 2023 by the Head of Corporate Finance.

The Council is invited to note:-

i.   the update provided in the report regarding the range of budget related actions set out in the report;
ii.  that a mid-year budget report will come to the Council meeting in September; and
iii. the update provided regarding the capital programme review, and timescale for consideration by Members.

11. Developing a Community Wealth Building Strategy
A’ Leasachadh Ro-innleachd Togail Stòrais Coimhearsnachd

There is circulated Report No. HC/19/23 dated 14 June 2023 by the Interim Depute Chief Executive.

The Council is invited to:-

i.  note the background to Community Wealth Building and the work already being undertaken which contributes to this approach; and
ii. agree the proposed approach for developing a Community Wealth Building strategy for Highland Council set out in Section 6 of the report.

12. Update on Outline Business Case for Inverness and Cromarty Firth Green Freeport
Cunntas às Ùr mun Chùis Ghnothachais airson Saor-phort Uaine Inbhir Nis agus Caolas Chromba

There is circulated Report No. HC/20/23 dated 14 June 2023 by the Interim Depute Chief Executive.

The Council is invited to:-

i.   note progress in the preparation of the Outline Business Case; 
ii.  agree to the request from the Board of the Inverness and Cromarty Firth Green Freeport for a financial contribution from the Highland Council of £25,000 towards the costs of the preparation of the Outline Business Case; and  
iii. note the intention to report the Outline Business Case to a future Council meeting prior to submission to UK and Scottish Governments.    PP.51-57
13. Renewable Investment in Solar and Battery Storage
Tasgadh So-ùrachaidh ann an Stòradh Grèine is Bataraidh

There is circulated Report No. HC/21/23 dated 7 June 2023 by the Interim Depute Chief Executive.

The Council is invited to:-

i.   note progress to date in evaluating and identifying both the cost saving and income generation potential of further development of the Council’s Solar PV assets;
ii.  agree the development of a business case for the development of solar PPA self-generation model; and
iii. agree the development of the business case for the development of utility grade sites identified as viable to a full business plan for development potential in both solar and battery storage.

14. Net Zero Strategy
Ro-innleachd Neoni Lom

There is circulated Report No. HC/22/23 dated 12 June 2023 by the Interim Depute Chief Executive.

The Council is invited to:-

i.  agree the Net Zero Strategy; and
ii. note that a fully costed action plan will be developed for consideration by 14 December 2023.

15. Governance Review
Ath-sgrùdadh Coileanaidh

There is circulated Report No. HC/23/23 dated 14 June 2023 by the Interim Executive Chief Officer Performance and Governance.

The Council is invited to:-

i.   the membership of the Steering Group as detailed in Appendix 1 of the report;
ii.  the Terms of Reference of the Steering Group as detailed in Appendix 2 of the report; and
iii. the next steps as set out in paragraph 6 of the report.

16. Alternative Delivery Model for the Provision of Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
Modal Lìbhrigidh Eile airson Solar Bun-structair Teàirrdsidh do Charbadan Dealain

There is circulated Report No. HC/24/23 dated 14 June 2023 by the Interim Depute Chief Executive.

The Council is invited to:-

i.  agree the undertaking of a collaborative procurement process for an Alternative Delivery Model for the provision of Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure (across the Shared Service areas and being available to other partners/areas) via a negotiated procedure with competitive dialogue in compliance with the Scottish Procurement Regulations; and
ii. note the estimated expenditure of up to £7.4m grant funding from the Scottish Government/Transport Scotland for the duration of the contract estimated as commencing on 1 April 2024, for a period of 10 years, with the option to extend by an additional 5 year plus 5-year agreement up to 20 years if required.  This funding represents a contribution to Phase 1 of the project and allows the Councils to have influence over aspects of the provision to ensure fair access to charging infrastructure for all.

17. Members’ Learning and Development Programme
Prògram Ionnsachaidh is Leasachaidh Bhall

There is circulated Report No. HC/25/23 dated 29 June 2023 by the Interim Chief Executive.

The Council is invited to:-

i.   note the establishment of the Short Life Members’ Working Group;
ii.  agree the Terms of Reference of the Working Group as detailed in Appendix 1 of the report; 
iii. agree to hold a Members’ workshop in August 2023 to provide Members with the opportunity to shape the refreshed Learning and Development Programme; and
iv.  note the next steps with the view of presenting a refreshed Learning and Development Programme for Council approval in October 2023.

18. Decision of Standards Commission for Scotland – Hearing
Co-dhùnaidhean Coimisean Inbhean na h-Alba – Èisteachd 

There is circulated Report No. HC/26/23 dated 11 June 2023 by the Head of Legal and Governance/Monitoring Officer.

The Council is invited to consider and note the decision of the Standards Commission of Scotland.

19. Timetable of Meetings 
Clàr-ama Choinneamhan 

The Council in invited to:-

i.  agree, following the cancellation of the Black Isle Area Committee on 23 May 2023, that its next meeting take place on 15 August 2023; and 
ii. note, following the approval of the Convener and Area Chair due to urgent business, the Special meeting of the Isle of Skye and Raasay Committee on 26 June.

20. Deeds Executed
Sgrìobhainnean Lagha a Bhuilicheadh

There is circulated for noting a list of deeds and other documents executed on behalf of the Council since the meeting held on 11 May 2023.

21. Recess Powers
Cumhachdan Fosaidh

The Council is invited to agree that, during the recess period, powers should be granted to the Interim Chief Executive and Executive Chief Officers, in consultation with the Convener, Leader of the Council, relevant Committee Chair and the Leader of the Opposition, to deal with issues arising during that time and that a report should be prepared for the first meeting of the Council or relevant Committee following the period where these powers have been exercised.

22. Exclusion of the Public
Às-dùnadh a’ Phobaill

The Council is asked to resolve that, under Section 50A(4) of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, the public should be excluded from the meeting for the following item on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 6 & 9 of Part 1 of Schedule 7A of the Act.

23. Independent Care Home Provision – Risk and Sustainability Update
Solar Dhachaighean-Cùraim Neo-eisimeileach – Cunntas às Ùr mu Chunnart is Sheasmhachd 

There is circulated to Members only Report No. HC/27/23 dated 19 June 2023 by the Executive Chief Officer Health and Social Care.

The Council is invited to agree the recommendations as detailed in the report.