Badenoch and Strathspey has had its say
Local people had the chance to cast their votes on Saturday (25 February 2016) at the first ever ‘Building a Better Badenoch & Strathspey’ participatory budgeting event held in the Carrbridge Village Hall, and as a result a wide range of community projects are now set to benefit.
Around 140 people took part in deciding which projects should be supported from the £30,000 funding pot. £15,000 was made available by the Badenoch and Strathspey Councillors from their Ward Discretionary budget and this was matched with £15,000 from the Scottish Government Community Choices fund.
Participatory budgeting is a process of allocating funding by empowering local people to decide how funding should be spent. All applicants gave a 2 minute pitch to make their case for funding and then attendees were asked to vote for the 7 projects that they thought would make Badenoch and Strathspey a better place. A total of 26 out of the 35 projects put forward by community groups have been successful and will now receive funding to help them put their ideas into action.
Area Chair, Councillor Bill Lobban said: ‘The community has decided which projects they think will help make Badenoch & Strathspey a better place and the whole process has been a great way to support community empowerment. This is the first time we have tried anything like this in the Ward and the feedback from those who attended the event was overwhelmingly positive.
Councillor Jaci Douglas added ‘The event showcased all the fantastic work that community groups do locally and I am extremely grateful for everyone who came along and made the day such an excellent success.’
The successful bids were:
- Young at Heart Group - Afternoon Teas in Nethybridge
- Badenoch & Strathspey Community Transport Company - Learn 2 Help IT
- Grantown Beaver, Cub & Scout Association - Renovation of Grantown Beaver, Cub & Scout Hall
- Carrbridge Ahead - Carrbridge Playpark Improvements
- Grantown Grammar Parent Council - Music in the Community
- Grantown Health Centre Equipment Fund - Medical Equipment for Diagnosis
- Deshar Primary School Parent Council - School Grounds Improvement
- Laggan Community Association - A Helping Hand
- Cairngorm Biathlon & Nordic Ski Club - Growing Feet, Growing the Club!
- Grantown Grammar Parent Council - Strength Equipment for Beginners
- Carrbridge Village Hall - Equipment for New Kitchen in Village Hall
- Abernethy Golf Club - Go Shed & Equipment
- Aviemore Scouts - The Future of Scouting for Aviemore
- Dulnain Bridge CC - Dulnainbridge.com
- Grantown Swim Club - Club Championships and Coaching
- B&S Society of Artists – Workshops - Making Art in the Park
- Nethybridge Winter Lights - Repair of Vandalised Lights
- Kingussie High School Parent Council - Duke of Edinburgh - Outdoor Access and Inclusion
- Friends of Dulnain Bridge - Start Up Equipment for Social Events
- Active Schools for Aviemore Kids Shinty - Portable Shinty Goals
- Newtonmore Community Woodland & Development Trust - Wildcat Trail and Wildcat Experience Promotion
- Castle Roy Trust - Siege Works – Castle Roy
- Speysound Radio - FM Coverage Improvement
- Aviemore & Vicinity Community Council - Village Green Xmas Lights
- Grantown Initiative - Rail Bus to Grantown
- Kincraig Junior Shinty Club - Coaching and Equipment