SQA Results 2017
Exam candidates across the Highlands received their results by text, email or by post on the 8th August.
The annual performance of Highland pupils has improved in a number of key measures. Three hundred and ninety pupils achieved five Highers in one sitting. Ninety seven pupils attained five straight A’s.
Their performance in these new exams is testimony to the hard work of all involved. More detailed analysis will take place in schools in the coming weeks.
Councillor Alasdair Christie, Chairman of the Highland Council’s People Committee, said: “I am pleased that once again the hard work of the students, their families and teachers has delivered very good results for the Highlands. Congratulations to them all.”
Susan Galloway, Rector, Plockton High School said: “We are very pleased with 13 of our S5 students achieving 5 passes at Higher – in a small school this represents approximately one-third of the year group. In addition to these straight Higher results we are also very pleased with the performance of 3 individual pupils who have the following results at the end of S5:
- Arran MacDonald - 6 Higher and 2 Advanced Higher (all at Grade A)
- Rory MacDonald - 5 Higher and 1 Advanced Higher (all at Grade A)
- John MacDonald - 3 Higher and 2 Advanced Higher
Christopher Millar-Craig, Head Teacher, Ardnamurchan High School said: “Well done to Ardnamurchan High School Pupils for the many successes achieved in the exam results this year. Of particular note this year are:
- Ben Gregg and Alastair Tait in S3 who both achieved Band 1 A’s in National 5 Mathematics
- Kay Christian in S4, who achieved six A’s at National 5
- Kate Bradley, in S5, who achieved three Highers at A and one Advanced Higher at A
- Mary Ellen MacIntyre, in S6 who achieved two Highers at A and B and two Advanced Highers at A. Mary Ellen has been accepted to Stirling to study politics.
- Charlie Anne Pleming, in S6, who achieved two Highers at A and two Advanced Highers at A. Charlie has now achieved all her National 5’s, Highers and Advanced Highers at A during her school career. Charlie has been accepted to Oxford University.
- Hannah Hunter, in S6 who achieved two Highers and one Advanced Higher at A, and a further Higher at B and an Advanced Higher at B. Hannah has been accepted to the Conservatoire in Glasgow.
He added: “Congratulations to so many of your young people who achieved well this year in their exams. I am extremely pleased that this year two pupils, for whom it was appropriate, sat their National 5 Maths in S3 and achieved A’s, while at the other end of the qualification spectrum, we have some notable successes at Advanced Higher. Well done to all, and I wish all our leavers the very best as they move on to their positive destinations with apprenticeships, employment and further and Higher Education.”
Rebecca Machin, Head Teacher, Kinlochleven High School said: “We have some great exam results with 4 pupils who got 6 straight A’s at National 5, two of which were Josh McFatridge and Alex Dent. Hannah Newson also got 5 straight A’s at Higher.”
Jacquie Ross, Deputy Head Teacher Fortrose Academy said: “We are extremely pleased with our examination results – once again results are consistently good across the board. We would like to congratulate all of our students - these excellent results are a tribute to the incredible hard-work and dedication of our students, staff and parents.
The following 12 students have achieved 5 A’s at Higher – an outstanding achievement and over 20 pupils have achieved 5 Highers overall: Aine Beattie, Bronwen Davies, Katie Gray, Ruairidh Jack, Sara Johnston, Gregor MacDowall, Sean Mann, Cameron McFadden, Freya Shepherd, Julia Stewart, Victoria Stuart-Martin and Rosie Young.
National 5 results have been equally impressive with 18 pupils achieving 6 N5’s at grade A or 5 Nat 5’s at grade A and one Higher at grade A.
Tina Stones, Head Teacher at Dornoch Academy said: “Well done to the following pupils at Dornoch Academy for their excellent performance in their Highers.
- Ursula Webster: Art A, BM A, Drama A, English A, History A
- Jem Irving: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, English A, Physics A
- Issy Steeley: Biology A, Chemistry A, English A, History A, Maths A