Highland Remembers (2017)
Highland Councillors and members of the public will be joining parades and services to mark Armistice Day (Saturday 11 November) and Remembrance Sunday 12 November throughout the Highlands at various locations.
Caithness and Sutherland
On Remembrance Sunday 12 November:
- Cllr Donnie Mackay, Chair of the Caithness Committee, will lay a wreath at the Thurso War Memorial at Sir Johns Square at 11am as part of the Remembrance Day ceremonies and Cllr Willie Mackay, Caithness Civic Leader, will lay a wreath at the Wick War Memorial, Market Square at 11am. Both ceremonies are being organised by the local branches of the Royal British Legion (Scortland).
- At Brora War Memorial – Cllr Deirdre Mackay will attend the parade which marches from the village centre to War Memorial and lay a wreath.
- Cllr Richard Gale will be attending the service and lay a wreath at the war memorial in Golspie.
- Cllr Jim McGillivray will be laying a wreath on behalf of Highland Council at a Remembrance Ceremony in Dornoch at 11am.
- Cllr Currie will attend the Remembrance service at Ardgay War Memorial and lay a wreath.
Inverness, Aird and Loch Ness
A colour party from The Royal British Legion Scotland (Inverness Branch) will hold a 2 minute silence Armistice Day observance on Saturday 11 November at 11am in front of Inverness Town House. Members of the public are invited to attend.
In Inverness there will be a Remembrance Service on Sunday 12 November at 3pm at the Cenotaph at Cavell Gardens War Memorial.
Organised by The Royal British Legion Scotland (Inverness Branch) and supported by Highland Council in partnership with Poppy Scotland the events reinforce the on-going importance and relevance of Armistice Day to the local community and the Highlands.
Members of the Inverness Royal British Legion and uniformed youth groups will parade from Huntly Street and Ardross Terrace respectively with Highland Council Members and staff joining at Ness Bridge. The parade will march off from Huntly Street at 2:20pm and arrive at Cavell Gardens Cenotaph at 2:50pm.
A Service of Remembrance - conducted by Legion Padre, Reverend Alistair Murray - will take place at 3pm at the Cenotaph. Rev Murray will be assisted with the readings by Canon John Cuthbert and senior pupils from Inverness Royal Academy.
The Provost of Inverness, Councillor Helen Carmichael and Highland Council’s Armed Forces and Veterans Champion Roddy Balfour will be accompanied by fellow members of The Highland Council’s City of Inverness Area Committee. Provost Carmichael will lay a wreath on behalf of Highland Council at Cavell Gardens War Memorial.
Also on Remembrance Sunday 12 November ceremonies will take place at:
- Beauly Square at 10am and then 3pm at the war memorial at Beauly Toll;
- Drumnadrochit War Memorial 10:30am;
- Fort Augustus parade from Royal British Legion at 10:30am to War Memorial for 10.45am service
- Invermoriston War Memorial 10.50am;
- Kiltarlity War Memorial 1.30pm;
- Kirkhill War Memorial at Wardlaw Church 11am; and
- Stratherrick War Memorial 3pm.
Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey
A Royal British Legion Scotland (Nairn Branch) Remembrance Parade will form up at the Royal British Legion on Sunday 12 November at 8:45am am, with a service of Remembrance at Nairn Old Parish Church at 9:30am followed by a further service and wreath laying ceremony at Nairn War Memorial at 11am.
Other wreath laying ceremonies will be held on Sunday 12 November at Auldearn War Memorial at 12 noon; Ardersier War Memorial at 2pm and Ardclach War Memorial at 3pm.
Also on Sunday 12 November Remembrance Day Services will take place at:
- Advie War Memorial, 3pm with Cllr John Bruce attending;
- Aviemore War Memorial, 11am (marching from Legion at 10.30am) Cllr Bill Lobban attending;
- Dulnain Bridge War Memorial, 12noon Cllr John Bruce attending;
- Glenmore Norwegian Stone, 2pm with Cllr Bill Lobban attending;
- Grantown on Spey War Memorial, 11am with Cllr John Bruce attending;
- Kingussie War Memorial, 12.15pm with Cllr Pippa Hadley attending;
- Nethybridge War Memorial, 1pm with Cllr Bill Lobban attending;
- Newtonmore War Memorial, 12.15pm with Cllr Muriel Cockburn attending;
- Kincraig War Memorial, 11am with Cllr Muriel Cockburn attending;
- Dalwhinnie War Memorial, 3pm; and
- Laggan War Memorial, 9.30am.
Ross and Cromarty:
At Muir of Ord War Memorial uniformed groups will be starting a parade at 10.15am from the Church Hall with a service at the war memorial at 10.45am, conducted by Rev Gordon Martin and Rev Scott Polworth to which all are welcome. Cllr Angela MacLean will be placing Wreath on behalf of The Highland Council.
An Act of Remembrance will take place at Conon Bridge War Memorial on Sunday 12 November at 11am followed by a Service of Remembrance at Ferintosh Parish Church. Diane Agnew, Ward Manager will lay a wreath on behalf of Highland Council.
The Royal British Legion Scotland (Dingwall Branch) annual Remembrance Parade and Service is on Sunday 12 November. The march-off is from outside the Legion building at 10:30 am. A Remembrance Service commences at the War Memorial at 10:55 am. Councillor Graham Mackenzie will lay a wreath at the memorial on behalf of Highland Council.
Cllr Alister Mackinnon will be attending trhe Remembrance Sunday ceremony on 12 November at Maryburgh War Memorial - 11am.
The following Remembrance events will take place in Cromarty Firth and Tain and Easter Ross:
- Inver on Thursday 9th November 2pm – Cllr Fiona Robertson attending
- Kilmuir Easter Church on Saturday 11November 10.45am - Cllr Derek Louden attending; and on
- Sunday 12 November:
- Alness War Memorial at 10.45am (Cllr Carolyn Wilson attending);
- Evanton War Memorial at 10.30 am followed by a service at the Church of Scotland (Cllr Pauline Munro attending);
- Invergordon Service at 10.45 am at Hayes Hall then to the War Memorial (Cllr Maxine Smith attending);
- Logie Easter – 10.45 by the Church (Cllr Derek Louden attending)
- Portmahomack War Memorial at 10.45am (Cllr Fiona Robertson attending);
- Tain Parish Church at 10.45am then to the War Memorial (Cllr Alasdair Rhind attending).
The Polish Memorial and Remembrance Service – Czesc Ich Pamieci - will be held at the Polish Monument, Castle Road, Invergordon on Sunday 19 November at 2pm. All are welcome. Highland Council Members will attend and lay a wreath.
There will be Acts of Remembrance at Fettes and Drumsmittal War Memorials at 9:45am and 11:30am respectively on Sunday 12 November. In both instances, the service will be conducted by Rev Susan Cord, Minister of Killearnan and Knockbain Parish Churches.
In Lochaber at Fort William – the Remembrance parade led by Lochaber Schools Pipe Band leaves Viewforth car park on Sunday 12 November at 10.40am and will proceed along the High Street and past the saluting platform in front of Tesco supermarket where the salute will be taken. The parade will then proceed to the War Memorial in The Parade, Fort William and then on to the Duncansburgh MacIntosh Church for the service.
The salute will be taken by the Lord Lieutenant, Donald Cameron of Lochiel and The Highland Council’s Area Leader Councillor Andrew Baxter.
Also on Sunday 12 November, at the Commando Memorial, Spean Bridge - the parade will form up as usual from the lay-by south of the Memorial at 2.45pm with the service beginning at 3pm. Members of the public are encouraged to arrive early to ensure they arrive prior to the parade.
Skye and Lochalsh and Wester Ross
Cllr John Gordon will be laying a wreath on behalf of the Council at the Portree service on Sunday 12 November, leaving from the Skye Gathering Hall at 10.40am.
The Lochalsh Branch of Legion Scotland will be holding a Remembrance Day Parade at the Balmacara War Memorial on Sunday 12 November (march to memorial starts at 10:50 with short service at 10:58). This is followed by a service in Glenelg, Kintail and Lochalsh Parish Church of Scotland in Kyle of Lochalsh. Cllr Biz Campbell will be laying a wreath on behalf of Highland Council.
The community of Glenelg and Arnisdale will hold a Remembrance Service on Sunday 12 November, 1.30 pm at the War Memorial. All welcome to attend.
There will be a Remembrance Service at the Lochcarron War Memorial on Sunday 12 November at 11.00 am. Cllr Kate Stephen will be laying a wreath on behalf of Highland Council
There is a Remembrance Service at the Poolewe War Memorial on Saturday 11 November at 10.45. This is followed by a service at the Russian Arctic Convoy Memorial Stone at the Sasan at Cove. Cllr Derek Macleod will be in attendance.
On Sunday 12 November there will be Remembrance Services at Aultbea at 10.45am and at Gairloch at 12.00 noon. Cllr Derek Macleod is attending both.
Cllr Ian Cockburn will be laying a wreath on behalf of the Highland Council at Garve war memorial on Sunday 12 November.
Anyone with information on services or parades, not listed, is welcome to email details to: firstname.lastname@example.org