Highland Council winter road condition and school closure report for Tuesday, 27 February 2018
Maps of the Council’s gritting routes by priority and policy are available online at www.highland.gov.uk/gritting
The information provided is a summary of reports from operational staff and is intended to give a general indication of typical conditions in each area at a point in time. It is not intended to imply that any individual route is entirely snow and ice free and drivers must be aware that conditions can change rapidly and make their own assessment of conditions for travelling.
Road condition reports by The Highland Council’s Community Services for Tuesday, 27 February 2018 are as follows:
- Caithness and North Sutherland: A light cover of snow on the higher routes with icy stretches in sheltered areas bladed where necessary according to policy and all routes treated with 10 - 20gm/2 of salt. No overnight issues to report. As at 08:57.
- Ross and Cromarty: Light covering of snow affecting all routes, with 2 - 3 cm on higher routes on East. Icy patches where water run-off has occurred. All routes being treated with min of 20g salt, higher applications being applied on higher routes and icy patches. As at 09:33.
- Skye and Lochalsh: Some wet sections of road and odd light flurry of snow in Lochalsh. Otherwise mainly dry roads. Areas where water standing or seeping treated. Primary routes now completed. As at 08:22
- South Sutherland: All routes being treated and bladed where necessary according to policy. A light dusting of snow on lower routes and up to 1'' on higher routes. As at 07:58.
- Badenoch and Strathspey: 1 to 2 cms snow on roads across the area, with depths of 3 - 4cms on high level routes. Routes being treated as necessary. As at 08:09.
- Nairn: Dusting of snow on low routes, depths of 3 to 4 cms on high routes - roads being treated as necessary. As at 08:14
- Inverness: Light dusting of snow on some roads but generally surfaces just salty damp, all routes to be gritted this morning. As at 06:08
Highland has the longest road network of any council in Scotland and it is not possible to treat every road at the same time. A priority system is applied to treat the areas in greatest need first.
Trunk roads are gritted by BEAR Scotland (North West) for Transport Scotland.
School Closures: There are no schools reported closed today. For school closures information or updates please visit the school closures website for up-to-date information - https://www.highland.gov.uk/schoolclosures
The page is updated from 7am and cleared each evening by 6pm. Get alerts of closures on Highland Council’s Twitter and Facebook. Or phone 0800 564 2272 to get the latest pre-recorded message from head teachers regarding their school.
Have the school's PIN ready when you call.